42. who told lies and was burned

☆

CLARA DIDN'T SLEEP THAT NIGHT. She didn't admit it but part of her was scared of what she might do whilst asleep. Because if she can do so much while she's awake without realisation, what on god's green earth did she do while sleeping? Dawn seemed to approach quickly. Clara had only moved from the floor downstairs beside the phone to grab a bottle of whiskey from the kitchen before she returned to the spot. She merely sat and stared as she cradled the drink, downing sections of it at a time. She did not want to think. She did not want to think of the engaged girl upstairs or the London girl she'd blown off. She did not want to think about her crazed reflection or her crazed mind.

She did not want to think...so, she worked.

Clara tended to work in her head, to plan out her day step by step, to plan out paperwork and to do it mentally before physically. She tended to write scripts in her head that she'd rattle off when conducting business. It was easier that way. "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail", Aunt Pol had always said, but even so the older woman seemed to just do whatever she pleased.

The sun had only just risen when the Shelby girl had begun to prepare for business. It was early, but business like this was always either early into the morning or ran late into the depths of night. Clara dressed in complete silence as Penny remained fast asleep. Her usual shirt felt itchy against her skin as she pulled on her waistcoat and coat. Her pants felt wrong. It all felt wrong. She convinced herself she was just jaded from the night before.

Clara didn't wake Penny as she left the house and locked the door behind her. After the night the two of them had, it was unlikely that the blonde would wake up whilst she was away. Clara started the car, the engine below her roared to life and was loud she'd swear you would be able to hear it back in Small Heath. As she began to drive, she blanked. Her mind just stopped thinking full stop. She stopped feeling. She had business to do and that was her main priority. Not Nadia. Not Penny. Not Thomas. Not bloody Anthony Margrave and his rich, tory family. None of them came close to knocking her off her pedestal of focus.

It was a foggy morning in London and fog drifted over the wharves like smoke from a flame. The air felt bitter as its coldness nipped at Clara's cheeks. She didn't mind the cold. She never minded the cold at all. It woke her up. Her leather-clad hands were deep in her pockets as she strode towards a warehouse. Her black coat swept behind her in the wind and her grey, tattered peaky hat was pulled down over her ears. Her gun was tucked safely underneath her jacket and out of sight in its leather holster. Her head remained down as she approached the warehouse doors where she finally looked toward the two men guarding the doors.

"I'm expected," Clara spoke, her face straight as her jaw clenched. "Go on then, go check." She shook her head as one of the men entered the warehouse, his footsteps pattering against the floor. The girl's feet were planted on the floor solidly. She wouldn't waver. No rocking onto her heels, no shifting uncomfortably, no reaching for a cigarette. She stood solemnly and tall.