25. what if..?

☆

CLARA HAD LONG BID PENNY GOODBYE. She'd managed to bring Cannon out for a quick ride around the outskirts of Small Heath. She had missed her horse dearly, and taking him out sent streams of bliss through her veins. She had not seen her brother and May at the Yard, but Curly had told her they had come and gone earlier.

It was dark now, the lampposts emitting soft hues of orange and yellow as the Shelby girl made her way down the streets. She was no longer afraid to walk home as she had been years ago. She walked the streets confidently, like a man or a woman who knew her worth. Her gun had been tucked safely into her jacket, her peaky hat covering both her hair and ears.

She entered number six with a shuddered breath, rubbing her hands together and blowing on them to try to muster up any heat. Clara dumped her jacket onto the coat rack, making her way towards the cupboard and dumping cereal into a bowl. The house was empty. It usually was these days. The girl enjoyed the quiet, basking in the bliss of it all.

The girl hoisted herself up onto the counter, crossing her legs as she dug into her cereal. Her eyes fought to stay open as she spooned a heaped spoon of food into her mouth. Clara leaned back against the cabinets, her fingers brushing against her lips, which were pulling into a soft smile at the remembrance of Penny's lips touching hers.

"Pol would kill you if she saw you up there,"

Clara's lifted her head, coming eye to eye with her older brother as he leaned against the doorframe. She shifted uncomfortably, her eyes darting between him and her half-eaten bowl of cereal.

"Well...Pol's not bloody here," she mumbled, spooning more cereal into her mouth, her eyes on the bowl rather than her brother. Silence fell upon the two as the grand clock ticked, leaving an eerie, uncomfortable feeling to instil.

"May I?" Tommy gestured to the chair in front of her. Clara shrugged, hunching her shoulders as her eyes remained on her bowl. Her older brother cleared his throat, placing his jacket on the back of his seat as he sunk into the wooden seat.

Clara slowly chewed her food, internally cringing at the sound of crunching filling the sound of silence. She wasn't going to speak first. She wouldn't let herself. The girl swallowed her food, placing her bowl off to the side as Tommy lit a cigarette. Clara gripped her hands together, twiddling her thumbs.

"Were you in the Yard earlier?" Tommy suddenly asked, tapping the ash from his cigarette as he leaned back in his seat. Clara looked up, her sharp eyes narrowing.

"Why?" She rebutted.

Tommy shrugged, raining a brow as he took a drag of his cigarette. "No reason..." he sighed, "Thought I heard you with Cannon."

Clara bit her lip, "And..? I'm always with Cannon." She scoffed, jumping off the counter. She shoved her bowl into the sink and walked past Tommy before she was stopped by a hand around her wrist.