22. hangover horrors

☆

CLARA STIRRED AS A SUDDEN DROP FELL ONTO her cheek. She shifted in her sleep, pushing herself further into the soft fabric. Her head raging up a war, each nerve feeling as if they'd been shot. There were no more drops felt as she snuggled back into her warmth, her brain urging itself to pull it together. Just as she let out a content sigh, a glass of water was thrown over her face. The girl jolted up, gasping for air, her chest heaving as she coughed through the water. She looked to her right, watching Tommy look down at her, his unimpressed eyes staring her down.

Clara opened her mouth to speak but promptly pressed her hand to her mouth, retching as she tried to keep her vomit at bay. Her vision swirled round and round as if trapped in a whirlpool. It felt as if someone was compressing her brain from either side, its grip growing tighter and tighter by the second.

"Alright," Tommy sighed in frustration, helping the girl sit up properly. "Up you get, c'mon."

"Mhm..." The girl winced covering her ears as he spoke. The man chuckled, shaking his head as he held onto her arm.

"Time to reap what you sow, c'mon, you've got a job to do. C'mon, up!"

Clara groaned tiredly leaning into her brother's stable figure as another wave of nausea swept over her. Her entire body felt sluggish as if she was trekking through a dense bogland in the pissing rain. John was making his way down the stairs as Clara and Tommy passed, his eyes glinting with amusement at the state of the young girl.

"Alright, Clara?" He smirked, his head tilted.

Clara tiredly raised her eyes along with her middle finger, in fear that if she spoke she may unleash her guts everywhere. She heard the faint noise of Tommy and John speaking for a few fleeting moments before Clara was promptly ushered out the door by her brother. The girl squinted at the light shining through Small Heath's clouds, its rays burning her eyes and adding to the incessant pain in her head. Tommy's grip on her shoulder stayed firm as he led her back to number six, practically pushing her into the house.

"Go on, you have twenty minutes." He nodded, lighting a cigarette, earning a discontent moan from the girl. Her feet slowly stomped up the stairs, her body unusually heavy as she entered her room. The walls seemed taller than usual and every time her eyes flitted around, she was met with incomprehensible dizziness.

Her body yearned to curl up in her bed and sleep the morning away, but the prospect of this 'job' seemed much more excitable. She yawned loudly as she opened her wardrobe, tossing an old shirt and pants down onto her bed, along with her red, trustworthy cardigan. Clara stripped herself of her suit, placing it carefully onto the chair. She'd have to try to scrub the garments in order to rid them of the alcohol smell that lingered on the fabric.

With a sigh, Clara dragged herself towards a washbowl she'd left on her dresser, attempting to wipe the sweat and the alcohol scent from her body. She gagged, clutching onto the dresser as bile crept up her throat. Clara squeezed her eyes shut,  her heartbeat pounding behind her eyes. Maybe it hadn't been the wisest to have drunk her body weight in gin, but it had felt too amazing to stop at the time. The girl stumbled towards her bed, grabbing her fresh clothes and shrugging them on with ease. She tied back her tangled hair, grabbed her grey hat, and shoved it down on her head.