23. horseshows and childlike woes

☆

CLARA SHELBY WAS NOT FEELING QUITE RIGHT. A knotting feeling had ravelled in the pit of her stomach, bile threatening to rise every time she opened her mouth. She didn't know what had brought forth this sudden bout of uncomfortable uncertainty, but she despised it.

It had been a stormy morning and Clara had been reading in her bedroom. Her head had been buried in the pages of 'Tale of Two Cities' before Arthur had poked his head around her door. He looked pitiful, his head down as he stammered out a few low words before attempting to get her downstairs.

"What's this gonna be about?" Clara questioned, her arms folded over her shirt as they walked through the betting den. Arthur merely shrugged but kept his head down. The girl didn't miss the unusual quietness from her brother, however, she chose to ignore it while they weaved in and out of men eagerly placing their bets.

"Arthur said you wanted to see me?" Clara spoke up, entering John's empty office in the betting den, her hands shoved deep into her pockets. Tommy was standing solemnly behind John's desk as Arthur joined the two in the office. "So...am I in trouble, or something?"

"Take a seat, Clara," Tommy sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose while Arthur stood silently behind the girl.

"I'll stand," the girl shook her head, shifting uncomfortably, her stomach swirling in nervousness. "Why am I here?"

"Last night, there was an incident...at Winson Green"

Clara's stomach suddenly dropped, her lips parting ever so slightly. The girl's arms folded once more, hugging her chest as Tommy paused. Thoughts were ricocheting around her mind, bouncing from wall to wall perfectly in time with the racing of her heart.

"What?" Clara hadn't meant to sound so small, so on edge— but she was and almost shamefully so.

"Will and The Digbeth Kid were both attacked, in their cells." Tommy continued his eyes still on his younger sister, carefully flitting to Arthur who was looking down at his feet. "Harold Hancox was killed." The girl stifled her uprising panic, trying to keep her face as emotionless as possible. She did not cry in front of Thomas Shelby. She would not cry in front of Thomas Shelby.

Perhaps before, but not now. 

"And Will?" She asked, her shaky voice not going unnoticed.

"Will was attacked. He's alive...but he's in hospital and they're working on stabilising him. There's a chance he'll live." The girl let out a sharp laugh, as Arthur and Tommy glanced at each other.

"So...what else do you want?" Clara gritted, her anger bubbling.

"You're okay?" Arthur's eyes widened in shock at the girl's cold, collected exterior.