31. the past is not so far behind us

☆

CLARA ACHED ALL OVER. She had spent the entire day and the majority of her night down in the Yard, helping Curly clean out the stables as well as taking Cannon out for a ride beyond Small Heath. It was half four in the morning and Clara had woken up ten minutes ago from her cocaine-filled doze, covered in straw. She was covered in dirt and a thin layer of sweat from the work she'd done. All she craved was to have a wash and curl up in bed and sleep.

Above her, the sky was brightening in the distance. Her feet tiredly carried her over the puddles and muck, as she walked towards Watery Lane. The very faint noises of the factories echoed off in the distance as they started up for the day. Her mind felt unbalanced as if it were shifting from side to side.

As she approached the Lane she noticed four policemen patrolling the street, walking back and forth. Something was wrong. Clara's stomach knotted as she hid in the shadows. She pulled her hat further over her ears as she slipped out of the shadows. She kept her head bowed as she walked, her shoulders hunched over in attempts to be unrecognisable. The girl only got halfway down the Lane when she heard it.

"MOSS! IT'S THE SHELBY GIRL!"

Clara froze in her place as the three other coppers turned to face her, whilst one of them stood pointing straight at her. The girl watched as they began to approach her.

"Clara Shelby," Moss called out, as she started to step backwards. "You need to come with us."

It seemed as if her senses kicked in because before her mind clicked, she was running. Blood pumped around her body as she ran, each of her limbs aching with each step. Clara was tired. She was exhausted. But she didn't stop. She could hear the heavy stomps gaining on her. She kept her head forward, her breathing steady. Her boots slapped the gravel, its clatter bouncing off the surrounding buildings. Her heart thrummed in her ears, its beat allowing her to sync her breaths with it.

The girl pushed her legs faster until she felt two hands on her shoulder pushing her straight to the floor. She let out a yell as her hands stuck out to take the impact, however, her face still hit the gravel. She groaned as she tried to push her face out of the dirt, only for her two arms to be grabbed and brought behind her back, cold metal pushing against them.

"LET GO OF ME!" She screamed, thrashing as a boot was placed on her back to keep her in place. Her face was red hot and could feel blood beginning to pool from a cut.

"Evading arrest is a crime," the man pinning her down stated.

Clara recognised the voice. She wracked her brain as she tried to place it. She could hear the other out of breath coppers approach. The girl was pulled to her feet causing her to stumble. She glared up at the man holding her, the same one who had pinned her down.

"George Sloan," Clara hissed, wincing as he pulled her arms back further. "Of course, you're a bloody copper now."

George smiled a rather cynical smile. He looked different but two very long years tended to do that. The girl found herself smirking as she remembered the stacks of books belonging to him and his brother that she'd tossed into a fire. She remembered their skint father and both her and Will fighting the brothers before they were caught by Tommy. George Sloan had been a year and a half older than her then.