07. thievery and triumph

☆

"CLARA."

The girl looked up from her book, meeting her older brother's gaze as he towered over her. She'd been lying across the couch for god only knows how long, completely and utterly invested in the stolen novel clutched in her hands. She had blocked out all noise from the betting shop, allowing herself to be immersed into the novel's world of wonder

"Tommy," she nodded, as the man lit a cigarette, taking the book from her hands. Clara was instantly on her feet, reaching for it, in a last attempt to avoid her brother from seeing the cover. "Oi, give it back!"

"Is this mine?" He questioned, turning the book over with his cigarette perched in his mouth.

"No," Clara bit the inside of her cheek as she spoke.

The man opened the front cover, "'To Tommy, From Gre–'" He read out, raising an eyebrow, keeping his temper from flaring. "You stole this from my room, didn't you?."

"I didn't steal it!"

"Well, what do you call taking something without someone's permission?"

"Borrowing with intent to give back. What's the big deal?" Clara scoffed indignantly, staring up at her brother. "I've run out of things to read 'round here."

"So, you decided that you'd rummage through my room to find this?!" Tommy scowled, sucking in a deep breath.

"I didn't rummage!"

"Clara, I swear—"

There was a sudden uproar of voices from the den, causing Tommy to swiftly drop the conversation and to stride out into the shop, closely followed by the curious girl. The two watched as an angered man was escorted out of the den. Closing time struck and it wasn't long until everyone else was being ushered out.

"C'mon, I'm halfway through it!" Clara once again started with a whine, walking after Tommy as he marched into the betting den with the book under his arm. "At least let me finish it!"

"No," The man stubbornly answered, "Consider it as a lesson not to be a weasel."

Pol exited the kitchen, her hat, coat and gloves in hand as she strode towards the two. "It's a good day." She began, briefly flipping through the books.

"Where's John?" Tommy questioned, ignoring Clara's incessant scowling.

"John is in the Garrison," Polly explained briefly, pulling on her hat and jacket. "He says he wants a meeting about a family matter." She glanced at the girl beside her. "—That includes you, Clara, and after he's said his piece he'll come back and take his place with Scudboat."

Clara raised her eyebrows, racing to put on and tie up her boots as Tommy grumpily handed her, her coat.

"Scudboat? John will be here in ten minutes." Polly announced, walking out the door.