41. i felt a funeral in my brain.

☆

CLARA SHELBY HAD SPENT SO MUCH OF HER LIFE as an eighteen-year-old inside of her office. She knew every nook and cranny, every single hiding place. She knew where each and every single file was, she knew exactly where archived material was, where dust landed easily, and every single inch where the light of her lamp touched. She knew everything within the small four walls. She was completely in control.

Clara tapped her pen against the form she worked through. Her heart had been going haywire the entire day in anticipation of what was to come. She'd barely managed to focus on her tasks set by Tommy while her leg repeatedly jumped up and down. She'd taken numerous doses of cocaine to try to soothe her shot nerves yet none of it seemed to work.

A loud knock on her office door snapped the girl out of her daze. She glanced towards the frosty glass before she leaned back with a heavy sigh.

"Come in," Clara called out, her eyes flitted from the sheet to the opening door. Pol walked in with a straight face as she stood in front of the desk. "Hello, Pol, what brings you into my very humble abode?"

"Here's the list of things to be done in London tomorrow," Pol pursed her lips, "Tommy wants you to have minimal contact. This is just a routine file and account pick up so Tommy wants you in and out."

"Tommy wants this, Tommy wants that," Clara mocked, "Tommy can bloody pick up a phone and tell me himself if he's so concerned. You're not a postal service, Pol."

"Clara, he's mourning," Pol gently reminded,

"Yeah, he is, and he's also in the middle of bloody nowhere with his son,"

Ada had told Clara all about how Tommy had taken off in a Vardo with Charlie and Johnny Doggs soon after Clara had left Arrow House.

"Pol, we both know that the London business is on the verge of snaking down here to take over," The girl continued. "These little trips to the past are doing no one any good."

"Let him believe," Pol said simply, "when you're in London, listen for any indicators at all. They're expecting you at seven in the morning sharp. Clara, don't be late."

"I know, I know," Clara answered, "I'm never late...is Ada still at Arrow House?"

"She's staying there until Tommy returns," The older woman sighed, "she said you have the keys."

Clara clicked her tongue as she pulled open the drawer of her desk and rummaged through the mess. She withdrew her hand with a set of keys dangling from her fingertips.

"Looks like I do," Clara set the keys on the desk before she shut the drawers. "Great..."

"Clara," Pol spoke up, her eyes stern but warm. The same eyes that Clara had known all her life. "Be careful in London,"