08. the (not so) miracle of child birth

☆

"CLARA MARTHA SHELBY, get up, come on!"

The girl opened her eyes to come face to face with Aunt Pol who had ripped open her curtains leaving the sunlight to flood in. Clara sat up, rubbing the palms of her hands against her eyes. She yawned and tilted her head in confusion as her aunt rifled through her wardrobe.

"Pol, it's too early!" Clara whined, leaning against the wall tiredly.

"Come on, up you get," she instructed, ripping back the covers of the girl's bed. "We've got a wedding to go to."

"A wedding?!"

"Yes, a wedding."

"Who's getting married?"

"You'll know soon enough, now put this on." Her aunt placed an outfit on the outside of the wardrobe before leaving the room.

Clara swung her legs over the side of her bed, her feet carrying her towards the wardrobe where Pol had laid out a green dress— one that had only been worn once or twice throughout the time she'd had it. The girl was quick to throw off her nightclothes, slipping the dress over her head.

"Pol, can you tie the button?!" She called out, struggling to reach the back of her dress. The door to her room opened and someone walked in to assist the girl, their small footsteps clattering against the wooden flooring. "Thank you." Clara turned around and jumped in shock, her jaw dropping. "Oh my god...Ada?!"

The woman smiled, allowing for her sister to rush forward and hug her. "What are you doing here?!" Clara questioned, pulling back to admire her sister's nice outfit and huge stomach.

"Tommy said there was a truce," she grumbled, "Can barely walk yet I'm being dragged out." Clara laughed at her sister's words, her hand running through her messy hair. "Now, sit, Pol told me to do your hair."

"Fine," the girl rolled her eyes playfully, kneeling by her bed as her sister sat down behind her. Clara passed her the brush and Ada got to untangling her knotted hair, pinning it up quite like what she'd done for her own wedding. pins prodded and poked into her scalp causing the younger girl to flinch. "Ow! Quit tugging!"

"Stop whining." Ada huffed, pinning another strand of hair to the girl's head. "And stop squirming!"

"At this rate, we won't even make it." Pol commented, leaning against the doorframe, watching the two girls squabble.