40. two ghosts in the place of you and me

☆

DARKNESS HUNG OVER ARROW HOUSE LIKE FOG OVER A VALLEY. The house was silent. Each brick that held up the house held hundreds of secrets. Secrets of the damned. Secrets of grief. Secrets of the past, the present and the future. The grounds were eerily still, not a tree dared to sway and not a blade of grass dared to crunch under the feet that tread it. The walls of Arrow house stood firm, the echoes of unsaid words and shunned actions bounced tirelessly.

Clara had always said she'd hated Arrow House, but now in the dreary and bleak halls, she could say she utterly despised it. It was a labyrinth of deceit. Each twist and turn leading to another spiral of despair. No places to hide or take cover. Just a straight path into madness. Lurking shadows advanced down the hall and disappeared around dark corners. She saw them move in their dark forms, taunting and teasing. The feeling of utter loneliness was enough to send a man into insanity.

A hand grasped at Clara's which caused her to inhale sharply. Charlie looked up at her in childlike wonder as he toddled alongside her. The Shelby girl notoriously disliked children, she hated them, but she chose to put her utter disdain aside as guilt and pity for the boy overtook her mind. She was slightly leaned over to accommodate the young boy's height as they walked around the house. Clara had been to Arrow house four times since Grace's death and each and every single time she rarely saw Tommy, only Charlie and Francis.

"H-hose," Charlie babbled, his hand outstretched as he pointed out the window. Clara lifted the boy up to look out the window as he laughed and pointed towards the stables.

"Horse?" Clara mused, looking at her nephew with a small smile. "I see that you take after your dad in that aspect."

Charlie continued to babble and point but Clara got distracted by the man appearing on a jet black horse over the hills. The girl watched as he grew closer to the house at a slow pace.

"Miss Shelby..?"

Clara turned to face Francis who stood awkwardly in the hall as she watched the two.

"Oh...hello, could you take Charlie?" The girl asked quickly, "If I'm late to these meetings Tommy will have my head!" She let out a small and stiff laugh as she handed Charlie over and waved goodbye as he grinned and giggled.

Francis and Charlie disappeared up a set of stairs leaving Clara all by her lonesome in the haunted halls of Arrow house. She pressed her hands to her head as a suppressed headache began to slip past the cracks. It had been an exhausting week. Tommy had fairly ignored all of his business which meant Clara was swamped with work. Along with the weight of work, Clara just couldn't seem to stop hearing about 'perfect Penny and her perfect impending nuptials' from Will. She'd bulldozed through four different bottles of cocaine in the past few days, mainly to stop her from falling asleep whilst standing upright.