33. it's a man's world (but a woman's life)

☆

IT WAS EPSOM DERBY DAY. The thirty-first of the month seemed to roll around quicker than expected and Clara was pissed. Tommy had assigned her to work in the den whilst her brothers went galavanting all over London. She wasn't having it. Finn had opted to steer clear of her completely and word soon spread of her foul mood. She'd been sour with everyone, snapping more than usual and consuming more than enough snow to get her through her days.

Her mind was twisted and warped and almost unfamiliar. Most days she barely recognised the thoughts that swirled her mind, but today? Today she was just angry. Pure rage filled her veins as she stood opposite John.

"Why are you being such a dick about this?" Clara scoffed, folding her arms as she leaned against the wall. "Fucking hell, even Finn is going."

"Finn's a man," John sniffed,

"You're joking! Finn can barely go down to the corner shop without wetting himself," Clara raged, John's lips quirked up slightly. The girl knew she was unfairly bringing her younger brother into the conversation but she had pulled out all other stops. "Look, c'mon John, it's the races! I'll stay out of the way but everyone's going. Every time you leave me alone here something bad happens!"

She knew he was thinking about the man she'd killed years ago and perhaps it was a low blow to bring up, but whatever it took.

John scowled as he rotated the barrel of his gun. Clara wondered whether he was contemplating shooting her or himself. She wouldn't put it past him to do either.

"Alrigh', fine, but not a fuckin' word, okay?" John eventually huffed, "Tommy put us on strict orders not to take ya, so I bloody expect ya to tuck that bloody hair up into a cap and put on Finn's old coat. You're going to stay with the group and no one is going to know, ya hear me?"

"Loud and clear, boss," Clara plastered a smirk across her face as she shook John's outstretched hand. Her brother nodded at her as she slipped out of the office and briskly walked towards her home.

Once inside the green doors, she grabbed her hat and Finn's old coat as instructed. She twisted her hair up before she shoved her Peaky hat down over her ears to conceal her hair. She glanced towards the small mirror, running her eyes over her tucked up hair. She looked like a boy. Clara's lips lifted ever so carefully.

Oh, how she would enjoy today's task of being a man. Life always had seemed so much easier as a man and she was willing to test her many theories.

At the sound of chanting, Clara reappeared in the betting den, shrugging on Finn's coat in the process. Her smirk was unmoving as she leaned against the stone wall as the men of the Small Heath Rifles cheered. She felt an arm drag her into a headlock as the men left.

Looking up, she locked eyes with John who was doing the exact same thing to Finn. "You two, stay out of the way today, yeah?" He warned, "Can't have Tommy on my arse, got it?"