19. the scars will fade

☆

CLARA HADN'T MOVED FROM THE WAITING ROOM. She'd forced herself into the ambulance beside her brother, refusing to leave him go alone. The girl's body was exhausted and littered with various bruises and cuts, yet she didn't budge from the uncomfortable seat in the waiting room. Her cheek was throbbing, and the blood from her deep gash stained her clothing. When they'd arrived, Tommy had been rushed off on a stretcher, his life dangling between worlds. The girl fought against the doctor's grasps as she desperately tried to follow the people taking Tommy away. They'd forced her to follow a nurse into another room so they could attend to her own injuries. Clara had ended up with five stitches across her face, trying to seal the knife wound.

The prick of the needle and the pulling of the thread should've been more painful, but the girl's mind was elsewhere. London was trouble...Esme was right. Her brothers had been in London for one single day, yet already one of them almost died. Her mind wouldn't focus nor could it at all. It had been hours since Tommy had disappeared behind the double doors yet the girl remained patiently. The sky was brightening in the far distance. She had to fill out forms upon forms earlier, her shaky hand scrawling all the necessary info onto the paper, she had shivered from head to toe, and every line of writing brought about waves of nausea and discontent.

Clara ran a hand through her hair and it was only then that it dawned on her that no one knew. No one knew Tommy had been cornered and beaten, no one knew they were in the hospital, no one knew. The girl shook her self pity and pried herself from the hospital chair, tentatively walking towards the front desk. The woman behind the desk was rapidly scribbling words into paper, her eyes flitting from book to book.

"Do you...uh, do you have a phone I can use?" The sound of Clara's rough voice caused the woman to look up. The woman scanned her small figure before nodding and pointing off the left. Without another word, Clara nodded and wandered down a hall, spotting the phone propped on a table instantly.

Her fingers traced the numbers before picking it up and dialling a few numbers. Lifting the phone to her ear, she let out a short breath as the operator began to speak. Clara mumbled the address, her fingers pinching her nose, blinking away tiredness. There was a beeping before the phone began to ring. Her eyes squeezed shut, hoping that the other line would ring through. The other end began to buzz, earning a sigh of relief from the girl.

"Pol..?" She carefully spoke, her hushed voice low enough for only the woman answering the phone to hear.

"Clara?" The woman's groggy voice echoed through the receiver.

"Something happened."

"Where are you?"