53. a simple truth (through the looking glass)

☆

CLARA SHELBY DIDN'T SPEAK AS SHE WAS GENTLY PULLED out of the church. She was stiff beneath the firm grasp on her shoulder. Her heart was racing, beating so hard she thought it would almost escape the confinement of her chest. She was terrified. It was an emotion scarcely felt by the girl yet it shook through her very bones. There were few times when Clara felt utter and genuine fear, and it was an emotion rarely felt around those who knew her, or tried to know her. She kept her body straight and rigid as she was swiftly moved around the back of the church. She could hear the applause for the newlyweds ring out from the devout building, each clap like deafening thunder, each crash and boom signing and sealing each of her misfortunes.

Every vessel in her body had frosted over with each rapid pump of blood that rushed through her body feeling as thick and as dense as lead that poisoned and tore apart the very essence of her being. Her feet were weighed down as if her feet adorned boots of iron, each step harder to complete. It took every bone and muscle within Clara's body to continue being led despite the overwhelming urge to run far, far away beyond the confines of the hand that held firm onto her shoulder.

She came to a slow stop as the hand on her shoulder dropped. The girl's own hand guided her to the grey stone wall of the church, her pulsing heart ceasing to ease. She could feel eyes piercing the veil of panic that was rapidly swelling all around her trembling body. She needed snow right now. She needed to calm down. She was being a fool. She needed the substance to calm every shot nerve in her weak body. Clara pressed her back to the wall, her spine painfully digging into the cracks as she tried to ignore and swallow the growing and unbearable lump in her throat. Her clothes felt tight on her body, her collar digging into the pale flesh of her neck as the pants on her legs grew itchy and unwearable. Despite the bitter wind that penetrated her goose-bumped skin, her body was feverish, with small beads of sweat dotting both her forehead and hairline.

A heavy hand placed itself on her shoulder once again. It was probably meant to be reassuring, Clara knew that, but the smallest part in her mind recognised it to be a threat and she inevitably flinched out of the touch.

"Leave it," She grumbled through gritted teeth that chattered unceremoniously. She didn't raise her eyes from the floor. The hand cautiously retreated while its owner let out an audible defeated sigh. "In fact, just leave...leave me alone."

"You know I can't,"

"I don't know anything about you at all anymore, Thomas,"

Tommy bowed his head ever so slightly, his tongue moving alongside the inside of his mouth at her words. Clara folded her arms over her chest, almost hugging herself protectively as the two stood silently for a few moments, the noise from inside encapsulating the siblings. The girl found her mind spiralling down its very own rabbit hole as she tumbled and tried to retreat into any comfort she could attempt to discover only to come up empty-handed.