51. what we stay alive for

☆

CLARA CLUTCHED A SMALL LEATHER BAG IN HER TREMBLING HANDS as she skulked outside around by the garage. She had packed up all of her things that had been brought to Arrow House, including her gun which sat atop some clothes glinting menacingly and tauntingly towards her. In the far distance, the sun was beginning to sink, its orange glow blinding and overwhelming. The girl leaned against one of the cars, awaiting for her cousin to exit the home. She knew he had to go to London to help sign Ada back into the Shelby Company Limited.

Clara knew he would be out of the house in a matter of minutes.

The girl's face hardened as her cousin appeared from around the corner, his lips pursed around a cigarette as he waved out the lighter flame. Clara observed silently as he approached the cars.

"You're taking me to London," Clara suddenly spoke up coldly, as she watched Michael falter in his steps.

"Clara! Does Tommy know you're out here?" He asked in amusement as he lowered his cigarette.

"What do you bloody think?" She snapped, "I'm coming with you to London. I'll stay with Ada."

"And...does Ada know this?"

"Use your bloody brain, Michael,"

Michael leaned against his car while his eyes flickered over her weakened state. From her trembling hands to the darkened bags beneath her eyes. She didn't look like the Clara he knew.

"You have to stay here," Michael shook his head as he pinched his nose. "You're sick, Clara, Tommy has doctors on call here. I'm sure you can leave in another few days."

"You don't get it! I won't be able to leave unless I take my chances now." Clara scornfully remarked. "And fuck the doctors, they don't know what they're talking about half the time."

"You sound like a child, you do understand that you almost died, yes?"

"How original! You sound just like him! I'm not a child. I'm fully in control of what happened. The past is the past and I'm sick of being told that I don't understand what I did. I do! I understand perfectly fine and I fucked up. Oops, my bad!" Clara raised her voice, "but now I'm okay. I'm not a sickly little child. I can make my own decisions."

Michael raised a brow at her words causing the girl's frustration to grow.

"Look, if I stay here, I'm going to die," Clara huffed, "and I don't mean that hypothetically, I mean it literally. This house is...it's a curse. It's the labyrinth made and designed to trap me whilst a monster roams its halls, waiting for me to slip up."

"I presume Tommy is the monster in this case," Michael hummed, inhaling another breath of smoke. "He's a hard man but not a monster."

"You don't see the same man I see, Michael," Clara argued, as her voice lowered. "but then again you're a man, you'll always get a different version of Thomas Shelby." She paused in her words. "I need to get out of here. If that means going to London then so be it. And don't you dare say you're not going, I know you are."