29. what is real? (what is not?)

☆

THE REST OF HER NIGHT IN LONDON HAD BEEN BLURRY. Clara had consumed too much alcohol to even remember the events that occurred after the bathroom. She had remembered Nadia though. She had remembered the Tokyo and the adrenaline that pumped through her veins after she had taken it. She remembered the thrill. The feeling of the world at her fingertips.

Clara had woken up the morning after feeling like she'd been steamrolled by a freight train. She was still wearing the borrowed green dress and her once perfect makeup was smeared across both her face and the pillowcase. When Ada had finally woken up from beside the girl, the two had simultaneously groaned and promptly fell back asleep until James came knocking on the door well past noon.

When they had finally woken up, the two had to rush to get changed so that Clara could catch the train back to Small Heath on time.

That had been almost two weeks ago.

As soon as Clara had arrived back in Small Heath, she had taken all of her school books and work to Polly's, where she'd spent her evenings studying and embracing the quietness and peace. Pol hadn't minded, especially not when Clara practically begged to stay for a few days. She'd spent her days studying and when her exams arrived, she would join Michael in the morning on his way to work and sprint the rest of the way to the school.

Her mind wasn't as clear as she wished and the moments of serenity she was provided with came in the form of sleep, yet even then she was haunted by flawed dreams. Dreams that shook her so hard she'd jolt up and forget where she was. Perhaps it was the stress or just overall angst. She dreamt of failing, of damned screams, or she dreamt of things she didn't understand what was so scary about them but she had awoken abruptly nevertheless.

Clara's exams had fortunately ended as quickly as they had begun. Yet her restless mind still reeled. She was still plagued by the knowledge she'd recently obtained in London.

The Shelby girl was in love.

Yes, she was in love. The fickle thing she knew nothing about. Compared to the blurred memories she had of London and the 43 Club, the fact she was in love stood out like a gathering of flashing lights dispersing the fog. It had stood out like an ink spill on the whitest of papers, like a blossoming flower in the centre of a war zone.

It was there, and undeniably so.

The matter had plagued her all through her exams, as had the blonde girl herself. Penny had refused to speak to the girl. She had turned a blind eye to all the notes passed to her and the longing looks. She wouldn't acknowledge the pining Shelby girl. Clara couldn't blame her. The Shelby girl had tried to speak to her on many occasions only to be shunned and ignored.

Maybe Clara hadn't tried hard enough. Maybe she hadn't let it be known that she felt the same way the blonde felt. The Shelby girl was nothing but determined. After her failed attempts to grab the blonde's attention during the exam period, she'd decided to wait until the exams were finished.