06. ickle, wickle idealism

☆

A WEEK HAD PASSED SINCE Clara had fallen asleep on the couch. A week had passed since she'd spilt everything to Pol, a week since Ada and the Garrison, a week since— a loud slam caused the girl to jolt up tiredly, rubbing her eyes as John's snickers echoed throughout the room from beside the door, (which had been ceremoniously banged shut). With a loud groan, Clara slumped back against her bed while her brothers stood over her and watched in amusement

"'bout time you're up," Arthur remarked, shoving his hands into his pockets as the girl tiredly grumbled into a pillow.

"Yeah, we can't have ya sleeping the day away," John remarked, sitting on top of her legs. "It's Cheltenham, you ought to be up and helping out."

"Why should I, ey?" She sniped, "Not like I'm allowed go with you lot— which is completely unfair considering Finn is going."

"We discussed it already," Tommy huffed, entering the room. "You've got to hold the ground here with Pol."

"Yeah, and Pol will definitely let me hang 'round here to get in everyone's way." Clara rolled her eyes, kicking John off of her as she sat up. "Why can't I just go?"

"Because the races are dangerous for ickle, wickle girls." John cooed, ruffling her hair. In a flash of rage, the girl swung her fist and roughly punched him in the stomach. The man bent over clutching his midriff with an airy huff, as Clara glared at him.

"John...get up, surely my ickle, wickle hit didn't hurt you?" She mocked, reluctantly standing up from the bed with a yawn. The girl pushed past her brothers, making a beeline down the stairs to the kitchen. She pulled out a bowl, dumping a handful of cereal into it, before slouching into a seat, with her feet on the table, picking away at her food while her brothers gathered their last-minute necessities.

"Aunt Pol will be round soon, until then, try to stay out of trouble," Tommy spoke, entering the room while he shrugged on his coat. "Oi," he shoved her feet to the floor. "Keep the feet down."

Clara screwed up her nose as she tucked her feet beneath her. "Have fun with Grace." The girl smugly sang, scooping another spoon of cereal into her mouth. The man faltered with a raised brow, looking down at the smirking girl.

"And how do you know about Grace?"

"Why does Finn get to go to the races?"

Tommy took a deep breath in as he counted down from five. He shook his head while fixing his cuffs. "I meant what I said, stay out of trouble today," He warned before leaning down. "This is the start of it all, and I need it to go exactly as planned."

Clara halfheartedly nodded, "but I don't understand why I can't go? Finn gets to go and he's bloody three years younger, it's not fair!" she moaned.