26. this dream isn't feeling sweet.

☆

CLARA TRUDGED THROUGH THE PARK, heavy rain wetting her skin because, in typical Small Heath fashion, the heavens had once again decided to spill over. Her hair was pressed flat against her scalp and neck. She had forgotten her peaky hat at home when she'd run out. That had been hours ago. She couldn't tell you how long she'd sat in the grass of Adderly Park. She hadn't even noticed the rain until the dampness seeped through her thick coat.

Her hands were planted in her pockets, trying to muster any warmth. Clara kept her head down as she walked through the darkened streets. Her eyes were on the ground, her mind muddled and wavering as her lips tinted a shade of blue. She did not feel the cold. All she could feel was her own melancholy. She was being a fool. Wallowing in her pity, what a foolish, foolish thing to be doing.

Pol had always said that everything happens for a reason. Used to say it every single chance she could. Perhaps this would be one of those situations. But if it were meant to happen, why did it feel so terrible? Clara sniffed, her fingers threading through her soaked hair, pushing it out of her face.

The girl didn't even realise she was outside number six Watery Lane until her fingers were wrapped around the doorknob. With her face scrunched up, she pushed open the door, letting the instant heat from the lit fire engulf her. Clara kicked off her boots, the voices from the living were a faint buzz as her tired body shrugged off her wet coat.

She kicked off her mud-splattered boots, her body yearning for bed. Clara made her way through the kitchen, into the living room, her arms folded over her damp clothes as the voices grew louder while she approached the stairs. Usually, her footsteps were quiet and unnoticeable, however, whatever luck used to be on her side had now vanished as the floor let out defeating creaks. Both Tommy and Pol turned towards the girl, both dressed up more than usual.

"Clara," Tommy nodded, his eyebrows furrowing as the girl didn't say anything. Clara hoped he wouldn't remember her silly episode that morning. She hoped he'd stay quiet and say no more on it.

"Oh good Lord," Polly huffed, "Clara!"

"Yeah?" Her hoarse voice felt unfamiliar.

"We're supposed to leave for the Garrison in five minutes, look at you!"

"The Garrison?" Clara's eyes flickered between Polly and Tommy.

"Michael's birthday?" Her aunt prompted.

"I...uh, didn't realise that was today," She shook her head, tucking hair behind her ear. Both adults glanced at each other. Clara was being uncharacteristically quiet. "Uh...do I have to go? I just...I'm—"