38. all in a days work

☆

IT WAS A MISTY MORNING IN SMALL HEATH, BIRMINGHAM and Clara Shelby was completely and utterly fucking freezing. Her hands were covered with leather gloves to preserve the warmth while her peaky hat was pulled down firmly over her ears. Her nose and cheeks were tinted pink from the wind slithering through the factory-lined streets. The girl strode through the early morning hustle and bustle with her head held high. The route she took was a familiar one, each building being a building she'd passed over a hundred times before.

She exhaled a ring of smoke as she walked, her lit cigarette being brought up to her lips once more. Clara smirked as various eyes trailed after her whilst others seemed to avoid her at all cost. Her heeled shoes clattered against the road and her crimson dress rippled around her stocking-clad calves. Her black coat did little to stop the cold as it flapped behind her.

She lifted her gaze from the cobblestone pathway to directly ahead as the gates of Charlie's Yard came into view. Clara plucked the cigarette from her lips and carelessly tossed it off to the side as she grew nearer to the gates. She hadn't been to Charlie's yard for at least a week and a half. Between business trips to London and Tommy's wedding, she just hadn't found the time.

So, there she was at seven-thirty in the morning, with dark circles under her eyes and numb limbs.

As she entered the yard, the muddy ground instantly splattered around the outline of her black shoes, yet she couldn't find it in herself to care. Clara waltzed straight through the yard. Her eyes scanned the area for Curly or Charlie but they seemed to be nowhere to be found.

The silence of her morning was broken as she entered the loud stables. A small, knowing smile grew across her face as the horses whinnied and neighed. The stables were filled with a range of different horses. There were racing horses or working horses and then there, at the end of the stables was Cannon, standing proud at the stall door.

Cannon whinnied excitedly as Clara neared. She quickly shrugged off her coat and gloves and tossed them on a hook meant for leads. Her smile stretched across her face as her fingers nimbly trailed down Cannon's muzzle. She unlatched the stall door and entered before she latched it once more. The girl grew closer to the horse with a chuckle. She left one of her hands to reach up and scratch his neck while the other continued to rub down his muzzle.

"Hello, boy," she murmured, pressing a kiss to his muzzle. "It's been a long while, hasn't it?" Clara swore the horse neighed in indignation as she laughed and continued to rub down his neck and muzzle. "Miss me that much, eh?"

She chuckled as she continued to mutter and whisper words of admiration to her horse. She only parted with the horse for a few moments as she grabbed a brush from outside of the stall. Clara grinned as Cannon whined loudly and shook his head all around. She'd swear he was a real human with how responsive he was. The girl returned with an apologetic look and began to brush down his sandy coat. She talked to the horse like he was human, conversing with him as if expecting an answer.