55. Only sinners feel the betrayal of a ghost

TO RECAP THE LAST FEW CHAPTERS:
1. Clara unintentionally burned down the sweetshop, overdosed and is now going through somewhat of a recovery/ is suffering through withdrawals.
2. Penny got married and Tommy knows that Clara is a lesbian.
3. Will and Clara went to the Shelby Orphanage opening and ran into a businessman looking to speak to Clara.
4. In the last chapter, Clara got grazed by a bullet when Charles was taken!

☆

MORNING HAD SET OVER SMALL HEATH and Clara's dependable headache had opted to remain its incessant march across her mind. She had risen with the sun, despite her body's desperate urges to remain in bed. She had briskly dressed herself and had forced a bowl of dry cereal into her stomach to soothe her growing hunger. The girl dumped her empty bowl into the sink, she'd decided to deal with that later

Clara yawned in exhaustion as her hands flipped through a few letters addressed to her that had been placed on the kitchen counter by Finn presumably. Bills, business, bills, more business. Her fingers faltered over one where each letter of her name swirled in a dainty and familiar scrawl. Her heart fell into the abyss of her full stomach as she traced the envelope with her eyes. She carefully ripped it open and untucked the letter from inside. As the inked words flittered across her mind, she found her fingers letting the letter fall as she read.

Her hand ran over the span of her face as she squeezed her eyes tightly shut in contemplation. The words echoed around her mind and in a slump of uncertainty, she leaned against the countertop. Her mind raged in a fierce battle of indecision. The letter was Pandora's box, awaiting to be discovered and divulged, unleashing horrors unknown to man. The girl feared the letter, she shouldn't have but she did. And the fear crippled her to her gut. Yet even in Pandora's box, hope could be found and this hope was dangerous— tantalising and fierce, waiting for someone to fall into its clutches.

She should be preoccupied with the turmoil ongoing in her family but she couldn't focus. The letter sparked chaos in her not-so-organised mind, only adding fire to the fire. A helpless endeavour. It urged her mind to explore every possibility no matter the risk.

Clara picked the letter up and folded it as she let her eyes glance at the clock. Fuck it, she thought as she shoved the letter into her pants pocket and grabbed her coat from the coat rack. She faltered once more by the front door before she disappeared out onto the streets of Small Heath. She kept her head low while she strode through the streets of Small Heath. No one paid any attention to her as her boots began to get coated by the dirt of the roads. She was grateful for the lack of attention, she was certain she looked a mess and couldn't be bothered dealing with any stares that lingered too long. She kept her hands in her pocket and her eyes cast downwards, the clouds in the sky too bright for her head and eyes to comprehend without splitting pain.