27. lamentable london

☆

CLARA KEPT HER HEAD DOWN AS SHE WALKED THROUGH Small Heath. She was still wearing her clothes from the night before. The stale smell of alcohol and sweat lingered on the fabric. Her head was pounding and her body felt sluggish. Her brain craved the white powder in her pocket. The powder that would now remain untouched until necessary. She had been woken up by a startled Curly at the crack of dawn, who had offered her tea. She had accepted the offer and had successfully avoided Uncle Charlie, knowing if he'd seen her he'd probably snitch to Tommy.

The girl walked in the rain, the small droplets soaking through her jacket with melancholic sadness. When Clara finally reached number six, her fingers were crossed in hopes that her brother had spent the night somewhere else or that Finn hadn't stirred up any rumours.

Clara's hand wrapped around the doorknob, yanking the stiff door open. She stepped inside with her head down, rubbing her reddened nose with her knuckle as she kicked off her boots. Upon hearing muffled speaking from the living room, the girl crept down the hall. Her hands hung loosely by her side as she walked. She'd have to show herself in order to climb the stairs.

Clara entered the room, her eyes still on the floor as her family sat in silence. They were having a family meeting from the looks of it. Their eyes followed the silent girl and her dishevelled state. Her hands trembled as she held the bannister to ascend the stairs.

"Clara," Tommy acknowledged, as he caused the girl to falter.

"What?" She asked, her back still to her family as she huffed.

His eyes narrowed on her figure, but considering she was not facing them, she managed to hide her emotions well.

"Be down here in twenty minutes," Tommy ordered, "I have business to discuss with you."

The girl did not answer. She merely nodded and resumed her climb up the stairs. Her feet felt heavy as if bricks were attached to each foot, weighing her down and pinning her to the ground. Once she disappeared out of sight, the older members of the family all turned to one another.

"What's up with her?" John questioned, sipping the newly presented whiskey.

"She's been like that since yesterday," Pol said, taking a drag of her cigarette. "What business do you have with her, Tommy?"

Tommy did not answer as he puffed his own cigarette. "She's fine," he stated.

"Maybe she's finally obeying your bloody rules," Arthur snickered at the mere idea as John laughed loudly.