59. the clock still ticks.

☆

One, two three, one two three, one, two, three.

CLARA'S FINGERS MINDLESSLY TAPPED its pattern repeatedly against the wood of the kitchen table. She'd been up for hours, the sun only just dawning over the endless fields. The morning birds incessant singing echoed around the Shelby-Lee kitchen, echoing off of the copper pans that lined the walls. The kitchen was cosy, one that radiated warmth across the young woman's secluded soul. Plants and wildflowers were strung amongst the decorations, the morning light streaming in through the colourful clothed drapes.

Three, Sting, Repent, Silence, June...Nothing.

Clara shut her eyes with a sharp inhale as her bare fingers tightened around the mug in front of her. The heat from her cup of coffee had long dwindled, its steam fading into the comforting smell of last night's dinner. She took shallow breaths in and out as her mind suppressed the flurry of memories that threatened to tilt her world reality. She wasn't there. She wasn't there. She was at John's house, she was at home.

She wasn't there.

One, two three, one two three, one, two, three.

Clara's fingers repeated its pattern, its relentless tapping preventing her from slipping into the haze. It was comforting. It offered her a morsel of stability to cling to as her mind traipsed along the abyss, the never-ending abyss that constantly taunted and teased her. It called her name every once and a while. It urged her to explore the crevasse that spewed turmoil and doubt all across her soul, capturing it in a bony grip, tighter than death but just loose enough to provide the hope of unattainable escape.

A creak from the stairs in the hall resounded.

She squeezed her eyes closed tight as her finger sped up against other wood, the faint noise now growing into a violent thrum. The sound from the stairs was a perverted intrusion, one that fed the fear in her mind. Her mind went hazy, all thought benign figments as the horrors welcomed her.

She heard the creak of the floor from down the hall. The girl gulped, her tightly pulled back hair now too tight as she kept her head on the wooden floor beneath her. It was a phantom creak, she wanted to believe. The building was old, floors creaked everywhere. The girl could feel her heart plummet as a pair of sharp footsteps began to echo across the hall. She didn't dare look up from what she was doing.

Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.

Her quivering hands picked up the pace as she cleaned the wood beneath, attempting to scrub any stains from the flooring. Her heart was now pounding as the footsteps grew closer. She could feel the other girl across the hall tense. Her head had fallen too. Neither had said a word. Each sticking to their own. Her moving chest was now rapid as she failed to control the overbearing fear that enraptured her at the sound. She was thankful her heavy and modest dress hid the sight from view.