05. in sickness and in health

☆

CLARA SHELBY WAS SICK. As it turns out, running back and forth through Small Heath in the freezing rain while wearing wet clothes wasn't good for your health at all. When Tommy had checked on her once he'd returned, he found her sprawled across her duvet, still in her damp shirt and pants. He'd carefully placed an old blanket around her body before leaving her to sleep the morning away. She had woken up the next morning, shivering and sniffling, curling up under her covers despite her raging temperature.

Polly had entered the room hours later after calling for Clara to come down for breakfast, discovering her in her sickly state. The woman had sprung into action, dismissing the dried, muddy footprints tracked across her room. Her only priority was to rid the girl of her damp clothes. Clara had been shaken awake by her Aunt, her tired eyes cracking open as her stiff muscles groaned and ached. The woman had sat her up, removing every article of clothing before replacing them with dry pyjamas. Pol had explained to the girl that she was to stay in bed and try to shake the cold that had entered her system.

Clara clutched the covers to her chest, her eyes half open as she sniffled and coughed. She lay there for hours until the door to the bedroom was slowly pried open while Finn crept in. The girl squinted as the boy crouched down beside the bed.

"Clara?"

Prying her eyes open wider, the boy tilted his head, lifting his hand. The girl groaned as he grew closer. "Finn, g'way, I'm sick." She mumbled, retreating further back under the covers.

"I got you something because Pol said you were sick." Finn continued, sitting on the side of her bed. Reaching over, he held out two small biscuits, waving them in front of her face. The girl weakly smiled, shutting her eyes as she moved her hand to ruffle his hair.

"Thanks, Finny." She smiled, watching as the boy placed the two biscuits on the dresser. "I don't want to get you sick though..."

"Mhmm." The boy hummed, bouncing on his heels. "I'm goin' to play by the Cut, don't tell Pol!"

Before Clara could say another word, her brother hopped out of the room, leaving the girl alone in the empty house. There was no noise from the betting shop, its doors closed to the public. It was peaceful, and Clara would love it, if only she wasn't feeling as if she was toeing the line separating life and death.

The girl allowed her tired body to rest, her eyes drooping shut once more before her bedroom door slammed open. Clara jolted up in fear, her body screaming its complaints as she blinked in confusion. Ada stood in the doorway, a long black coat covering her body, her make up done up as well as her hair. The younger girl rubbed her eyes, ensuring that the sister she saw wasn't just a sickly daze, after all, she hadn't seen Ada in weeks.

"Clara, quickly!" She rushed, pulling out some of the younger girls clothes.

"Ada...what you on about? Why you here?" Clara grumbled, flopping back onto her bed. Closing her eyes as her sister faffed about.