Ashton

I am at the doctors office with Juliet and Lacey. I insist on going in the room with her because she needs someone to support her. Plus if the baby is mine than I would love to hear it first hand. I'm holding on to Lacey's hand tight and she is squeezing my fingers. The doctor starts speaking and I sit up straight, listening intently.

"Okay I have the results of the paternity test."

"Yes... What does it say?" Lacey asks nervously.

"It says that..." the doctor pauses for effect and I could just about claw her eyes out. I'm on the edge of my seat here. "There is a 99.9 percent match between the two samples given."

Holy shit! It's MY baby!

"YES!!!" I jump up and punch the air in joy. "I'm going to be a daddy!" I turn around to a shocked Lacey. "We're gonna be parents!!!" I pull her to her feet and hug her tight. "I love you so much baby!"

"I love you too," she murmurs in my ear. I don't know if she is in shock or something but she is really quiet. I help her back into our chairs as the doctor looks between the both of us.

"Miss Cartwright are you okay? Are you in shock?"

Lacey slowly smiles and it lights up her whole face. "Ashton is the baby's biological father?"

"That's correct."

Lacey turns to face me and her eyes are glistening. She cups my cheek and whispers softly, "You're going to be a daddy..."

"Yes baby and you're going to be the best mummy there is."

A giggle erupts from her throat and she throws her arms around my neck and squeals. "We're going to be parents!!!"

I can't believe it! I'm going to be a father. If you asked me all those months ago if I could see myself here I would have laughed. Whilst the circumstances might be a bit messier than I would like, I wouldn't change it for anything. The girl of my dreams is carrying our baby. I am going to love the shit out of both of them and I know my mother will be ecstatic.

Over the years she has dropped many a hint about Lacey becoming an official member of our family. I've always argued that she already is and mum just rolls her eyes while I laughed. But perhaps she could see what I had stopped looking at... Lacey. All my fears, all my worries about affecting our friendship lost us both so many years.

I can make up for that now. I know I can, if she will let me. I know I have to be patient here, just because I want to be with her, it doesn't mean that it will happen. A man can dare to dream though. I'm brought out of my self reflection when Lacey squeezes my bicep.

"Earth to Ash," she giggles.

"Huh? What?" I startle which only makes her laugh more.

"I said are you ready to go now?"

"Oh right," I chuckle. "Yeah I am ready."

"Okay, good."

We thank the doctor and leave the room. Lacey pays for the appointment even though I offer to pay instead. She just shakes her head and hands over her card.

Jules rushes over to the pair of us, her body shaking with excitement. "So...? What's the verdict?" Lacey and I look at each other at the same time and grin. "Oh my god! I knew it!" Jules squeals. "This is going to be so much fun! I'm going to spoil the crap out of your kid, fair warning!"

Juliet's exuberance is infectious and we all walk out with linked arms, until Lacey stops abruptly and I look at her in confusion.

"What the fuck is going on here Lacey?" A venom dripped voice growls.