Ashton

It's been almost a whole week without Lacey and I'm getting frantic. I've gone back to work but I keep my phone right next to me at all times, my boss has been so good about it, knowing the stress I am under, he supports me. I've just finished up some paperwork when my phone rings. I answer it straight away, not bothering to check who the caller is.

"We've found where she is..."

Fuck! Am I dreaming?

"Mr Bennet? Did you hear what I said?"

"Uh yeah... You've found Lacey. Is she... is she...?" I can't even say it.

"I don't know. The police are conducting the search as we speak. We should have some news soon."

"Oh thank god! I can't thank you enough for all your help!"

"I'll talk to you once we hear back alright?"

"Yes. Thank you."

I hang up the phone call with the private investigator with a smile on my face. Lacey... My beautiful Lacey... I can't wait to see you!

A few anxious hours later and I get the call I was hoping for. They have Lacey, she's been taken to memorial hospital to be checked over. I inform my boss and rush to my car. I don't even remember the drive to the hospital, only that I'm frantic for news of her by the time I'm rushing through reception.

I give her name and the woman asks my relation to her. Fiancè I announce and I'm directed to her room number. I know they won't let me see her if I just say boyfriend or baby daddy. My feet are moving without conscious effort, taking me to where my heart yearns to reconnect with its missing piece. Every step closer is heavy with dread for what I will find. She's been missing for a week, who knows what they did to her.

I pause outside her room. And take a deep, steadying breath, preparing myself for what I may see when I walk through the door. I'm not in ICU so that's a positive thing right. Right? The first thing I see is the wires connected to her, she's covered in them. My gaze rises up her hospital gown covered body and my breath halts when I see her face.

I gasp and suck in quick breaths, trying to stem back the tears that are trying to overflow at the sight of my girl. Her face is covered in bruises, the nastiest one giving her a black eye, her lip is cut open and her wrist is in a bandage. I can see the bruises on her neck and clavicle, who knows what is hidden beneath her gown. I glance at the monitors and see one connected to her stomach which is monitoring our baby's heart rate.

My legs feel like lead weights as I make myself move closer, ever so slowly I drag myself forward. It feels like I'm wading in quicksand, sinking deeper as I struggle to keep going. Finally I touch her hand with the slightest of touches, afraid I might hurt her already battered body further. Unwelcome tears flow freely down my face now, my willpower crumbling and unable to hold them back a second longer.

A sob escapes my throat as I take her hand in mine, her eyes fluttering open at my touch. Her eyes seem unfocused as she blinks in the flourescent lighting. I haven't seen any doctors or anything so I have no idea of the extent of her injuries or her prognosis, but what I can see unnerves me.

"Ash...?" She hesitantly asks me in confusion.

"Yeah baby. I'm here..." Her bottom lip trembles and I reach over to cup her cheek gently. "It's okay Lacey. I'm here. I've got you now." She bursts into tears and I engulf her in my arms as much as the wires will allow. Lacey clings to me tightly as she sobs into my neck and I just hold her and cry too, stroking her hair and back, offering comfort wherever I can.

I don't know how long I hold her for, I only pull away when I hear a throat clearing behind me. I slowly extricate myself from the tangle of wires around Lacey and come face to face with a doctor.