Ashton

Seeing my son born was the most amazing moment of my life so far. I can't explain it, even now as I stare at Lacey feeding him. She's such a badass. She didn't yell at me, call me every name under the sun like you see in movies. She concentrated, squeezed the shit out of my hand so it went numb and did her thing. I was thankful when it went numb, it meant I couldn't feel the pain anymore. Holy shit, my woman has good grip!

I've been wanting to take the next step with her because I'm so fucking ready for it. I have held back because I wanted Lacey to be in a better head space and I didn't want to scare her. But I can't hold it in anymore. I just can't. I brought it along with me today, just in case. Now is the time, now is the moment. My heart is filled to bursting and nothing could make me any happier except for this.

"I love how much I love you both. It's like my already full heart expanded and made more room for Nate. I didn't know I could be this happy. You make me so happy Lacey Jane Cartwright."

"Awww! I know exactly what you mean. I feel so full, in the best way."

"There's only one more thing that could make me happier than I am right now..."

"What's that?"

I sink down to one knee and grab her hand.

"Lacey...there are no words that can express just how much you mean to me, but I'm going to try. You are my sunshine, my light and my meaning for everything I do. You make me a better man, a better friend and a better person all round. Your trust in me has led to the most wonderful blessing I have ever received, our son. I want to spend every single day of the rest of my life showing you what true love is. Showing you what endless support is and filling our home with love, laughter and hopefully more children later on.

I love you so much, but there's been one thing bothering me... Your last name. I made you a promise that one day I would change your last name and as I kneel before you now, on the best day of my life. There's only one thing that could make it even better. Lacey, I love you with everything that I am. Please make me the luckiest man on the face of the earth and let me be your husband. Please, will you marry me? Will you be Lacey Jane Bennett and make our family complete?"

Tears run down her face as she nods furiously. "Yes! Yes! Yes!"

I slide the ring on her finger and rise up to take her lips with my own. I'm careful of Nate, who is now snoozing happily on the best pillows known to man, breasts. She holds me to her with one hand as we kiss and kiss and kiss. Pulling back she finally takes a look at her ring and I grin at her excitement.

"Holy freaking gosh! It's so big!"

"I know." I wink at her and she giggles, rolling her eyes.

"Yeah, yeah. We both know you're packing. No need for an ego boost. It's so beautiful Ashton. Like, just, wow! Did you have help?"

"Nope. I've watched what you like in those jewellery catalogues and found something I thought would be perfect for you."

"You did so good babe. Picture time! I can't wait to tell everybody!"

"Tell everybody what?" My mum asks as she walks into our room. Lacey just shakes her hand towards my mum and she clasps her hands over her mouth. "Our grandson and an engagement! Best day ever!"

Mum and dad hug us both. Dad claps me on the back and gives me a proud smile which I lap up. "About time son. Welcome to the family Lacey, officially." He laughs and we all join him. My mother throws me a knowing look.

"Yeah, yeah mum. You told me so."

"A mother always knows Ashton. A mother always knows." I kiss her cheek and give her another hug. "Do you want to hold Nate?"