Chapter 30 ~ Field Trip to the Royal Library (2)

The magic system in the otome game "Lovely Happenings" is quite simple and straightforward.

The types of magic elements here can be divided into rankings based on their rarity.

The common magic elements include Fire, Water, Wind, and Earth. They are the four basic elements that most mages possess.

The rare magic elements include Lightning, Ice, Telekinesis, and Shadow. When a mage possesses even one of these elements, they could already be considered as a one in ten thousand talent.

One level above it would be the mythical magic elements. As its name suggests, they are magical elements that existed mostly in myths. Most of the current populace would only perceive this type of magic as mere fantasy, an ancient, wondrous form of magic used to spice up a folklore or fairy tale. These mythical elements include Light, Dark, Nature, Space, and Time.

However, they indeed exist in this world. The heroine of "Lovely Happenings" was the sole proof of the existence of these mythical elements. She possesses the Light mythical element, in addition to three other common elements, fire, earth, and wind, making her a heaven-sent being; a chosen existence. Having affinity to two elements could already be considered a genius, and three a prodigious talent. Four is simply unprecedented.

The sole fact that she possesses this mythical element, in addition to having affinity to four elements, allowed her to be wedded to the crown prince and main capture target of "Lovely Happenings", and became queen despite her background as a commoner.

It was a truly fantastical story of a regular being who turned out to be a chosen existence.

It is wondrous, when you look at it at first. But... It's simply not that realistic.

I could understand why Lily, or previous Hana, and other otome game fans would like it. The capture targets, especially Alexus, the main capture target, are extremely handsome and unique, after all. But, I don't really like it solely due to the fact that the main heroine was only able to gain their love due to her "gift". She was just super-duper ultra lucky, and, in my opinion, that's just lazy on the part of the writer.

Well, can't say much about it since I am also born with an innate massive mana pool and tremendous affinity to ice and water. Not to mention, the fact that I was able to meet Fubuki. Though not to the level of miracle as the Heroine's Light magic, it's still plenty amazing.

Hah... Forget about it. I've ranted and digressed enough.

The common, rare, and mythical magic elements, however, are not the only types of magic there are in the world.

There is a fourth type of magic. This one, however, isn't an element and it is not something you are born with. It is a type of blessing that one can receive from a Spirit.

Spirits are celestial creatures that exist everywhere around us. There are river spirits, tree spirits, fire spirits, wind spirits; anything and everything has spirits dwelling in them. But, they rarely, almost never, appear before anyone. They'll simply live quietly and peacefully without attracting any attention from humans.

However, on the extremely rare chance you receive a spirit's favor and make a contract with it, you will be able to receive their blessings and use spirit magic.

Spirit magic, however, doesn't have a fixed form. It will depend on how powerful the spirit that gave you their blessings is and the level of blessings they gave. The only certainty would be that it is far more powerful than regular magic of the same element, even if it is from a weak spirit.