Chapter 66 ~ Why Does It Feels Like a Wedding Preparation...?

It was early.

Very... Very early in the morning...

While I was having my beauty sleep peacefully, having a nice dream surrounded by my cute little besties, a wet cloth of ice cold water on my face jolted me up back to reality.

"UWWAAAHHHH!!!"

I screamed in shock, opened my still sleepy eyes to see just what the hell happened, and saw Anne's smiling figure with a wet cloth in her hand.

The sun wasn't even out yet... The sky was still dark, and when I checked the clock, it was barely five in the morning...

Then, with her beautiful voice that somehow lacked any kind of warm this time, Anne told me to enter the bath and get ready...

I looked at her unmoving, still frozen in shock and dazed, and she began lifting me up by my armpits and carried me with my feet dangling in the air to the bath like a cat.

"Nya- I mean, w-what's happening?! Why did you wake me up so early?!?!"

"Hah... Did you forget what day is it, Alterisa-sama...?"

"Hm? What? Is there something special today...?"

"..."

I turned my head around while still being held up by Anne and looked at her confusedly.

Special day... Aaahh, it's the last day of the Kingdom's Founding Festival.

Right, we have a grand ball tonight...

Wait... Even though we had to arrive by late afternoon, we still don't need to get ready this early, right?!

"Anne! We still got plenty of time! We only need to get there by late afternoon!"

"That is certainly the case if there wasn't anything special to be announced today, Alterisa-sama."

"Special announcements...? What- Ah."

T-That's right... I-It's today...! T-Today is the day!!!

I-I can't believe I forgot!!!

I keep telling my self to forget about it so I won't be nervous, but I can't believe I really forget about it!!!

"...It seems you have remembered."

"...Yes."

Anne smiled softly at me and put me down before stroking my head a few times.

Normally, a maid wouldn't dare do such a thing to their master. But Anne and I are essentially sisters at this point, and we act like one at least when we're alone or with Maria-chan.

We could act like sisters anytime we want, even in front of mom and dad. They never minded it and have known about who close we are for years now. But, Anne refused, saying she also has her pride and honor as a maid and will continue to act as one, at least in front of her employer.

"You will also be heading to the royal palace earlier along with Master Altair and Lady Lisa."

"Ah... That's right... We're going to sign some papers for the engagement."

Mm... Even though we're only going to be engaged, why does it seemed like we're getting married...?

Is this really how it goes, normally? I've never heard of needing to sign papers for an engagement in my past life. Maybe that's just how it goes here.

Well, considering that engagements here are essentially agreements between the two families to be in alliance in each other until the couple is officially married, I guess having it on paper makes sense.