CHAPTER -8-

HAPPY READING 🥰

Cindy Washington

I quickly take two tissue from the kleenex box on my desk and wipe my face. I smile trying to change my mood after the emotional read I just had.

"So reading in your office also makes you cry."

I laugh throwing my head back, "you know me too well."

"How are you, Cindy."

"I'm good and how are you and your family," I say extending my hand to him.

"We are great," he says shaking my hand and I can see the genuine smile on his face. "How's Steph I miss him so much."

"He's great and had a major growth spurt."

"I can't wait to seen him this month-end." I smile thinking how tall has he grown. "What brought you to my neck of the woods," I say wondering what brought him here and why the suddenness of his visit.

"Anna and I are on a business trip. I was a few buildings down and I know you work here, I drop by. Hope it's no problem."

"Oh shut up, what problems you can check me any time. We can be friends despite our history you know."

He chuckles, "I see you haven't changed."

I smile "you know the one and only me."

"So what had you so emotional."

"Just a billionaire manuscript."

"I remember how you love those romances, you still at it."

"You know me too well." I smile "I'm reading through to get my pick of the month."

"I read your column last month good job. Mental health is a topic we can't seem to hear too much about."

"You know that's true, yet there So many men and women not paying attention to their emotional health. Some are still under the notion that mental health is for weak minds or something someone thought up of to enslave us like depression."

"You right on that. There are so many people hiding behind fear or ignorance."

"Very true, I just hope with all the awareness spreading through magazines, companies and the health sectors it can reach at least one person in every home and they seek the necessary help."

Sean looks at me with surprise as if he's seeing me for the first time or in a different light. "I'm truly proud of you Cindy. I was holding you back, I couldn't see it back then but I do now. Seeing you in your element makes me realize you are a force to be reckoned with."

If contentment was a person that would be me right now, the fact that it dawns on him and we can have this conversation proves how mature we both have become and how much of a difference the past have changed and shape our future.

I smile brightly "thank you Sean that means everything coming from you. So where's Anna."

As if on cue his phone rings. It's Anna and he talks to her while I'm just taking in this moment. I can only wonder if he had taken into consideration how I felt all those years ago how much different our relationship would have been. He's saying what he said a moment ago does not validate me, it's not that I am looking for his approval but it made me feel whole and complete in ways I didn't know I could feel.

He ends his call and says, "Anna is at L'immagine Bistrot Ristorante she loves there Cotoletta Alla Milanese come join us." And that surprises me even more. We have a comfortable relationship now and I'm highly grateful the strain is off. I'm happy we are back to being great co-parents and even friends. "Thank you for not having a bitter grudge towards me."

"Cindy your not a horrible person and I hope you know that your decisions don't define you. If anything I think it made you stronger."

Today is full of surprises and if ever anyone told me I would hear these words from Sean I wouldn't believe it. I'm happy he has found Anna to love him the way he deserves to be loved. I smile accepting my compliment.

" So Cotoletta Alla Milanese," I say stumbling over my words, Sean laugh at me and repeated the words slowly for me. "I've never had that, what is it," I say. Sean Italian is fluent and I'm living here and still only manage a few words.

"Cotiletta Alla Milanese is an Italian dish in Milanese Lombard cuisine, and a popular variety of cotoletta. It is traditionally prepared with a veal rib chop or sirloin bone-in and made into a breaded cutlet, fried in butter. It comes with different siders it's up to you." He says and I just look at him.

"If I tell you I can't read any of those menu cards would you believe it?"

He laughs louder as we stand up. I call my supervisor to note I'm leaving for lunch. "I can't believe you're living here all this time," he shakes his head.

"I know right, it's too much rolling of the tongue for me," we both laugh.

I pick up my handbag shut down my system and walk out of the building with Sean to the parking lot.

Sean has a car waiting on him and he opens the door for me and we get in and the driver drives off.

When I wake this morning I didn't have anything plan for the day apart from going home and finish packing because my least officially ends next week. I had to extend my lease for another month until we officially find a place and signing off on it. Now I'm here in Sean's car heading to a restaurant so I can have lunch with him and his wife. Such grown-up we are and I'm especially happy we can be excellent co-parents for Steph and his siblings as well.

Our relationship taking the next level is not only beneficial for our children but our sanity and day to day functioning. Being on this level cuts out, us being down each other throats and being mature individuals and parents. In this aspect, the past has taught me and I have reminisced about my error, learn from it and now I'm moving on.

I'm happy I met Sean in my lifetime. He's a bigger man and I'm grateful he looked beyond my faults and see my true character. I shall forever be grateful for him and to him.

We pull up in front of the restaurant and walk into the hostess. She told Sean his wife is waiting and walk us over to the dining table where Anna sits waiting on us.

Before I can say hello Sean leans over his wife kissing her. When he pulls away he says "have a seat."

"Hello Anna, how are you and the kids," I say immediately before taking my seat.

"Hi Cindy, did my husband drag you out of work at this hour."

I chuckle, "I needed rescuing if I read one more page I would've been bawling my eyes out on my cubical floor."

She laughs "that bad huh."

We all laugh, "before we order can I ask a favour." "Sure, go ahead Cindy." Says Anna

"Well," I pause I didn't want them thinking I'm failing from my obligations to my son without selling Steph out.

"I'm sure whatever it is we can work it out," says Anna. "Because I want to talk to you too."

"How about I go first, that way you can be more at ease."

"OK, sounds good."

"Steph loves boats and this holiday we are taking the girls on a cruise and we wanted to swap holidays with you."

I smile thanking the highest. This will work out perfectly and be a win-win for both of us.

We order lunch and discuss all about the cruises and made plans for my next visit and the holiday in which I will get Steph in return. After our lunch date, Sean and Anna left for their hotel and I went back to work. The rest of the day flow by smoothly and before I know it, it is time to go home.