CHAPTER -18-

HAPPY READING 🥰

Cindy Washington

The evening was winding down nicely. I'm so happy and enjoying myself with Steph as my date and I couldn't think of a better person to accompany me to this gala. Brian give a very compelling speech and my target for contribution was five thousand dollars but after all, he said and how I remembered feeling when I saw those children in my office I pledge ten thousand dollars to this cause. Who knows by the next five or fewer years the specialists may find a cure that can help thousands of people. I'm very hopeful they can do it.

Steph is beginning to get tired after dancing, flashing more than a thousand pictures and recordings. He even dances with Anna while I dance with DeMarcus. We are currently sitting at DeMarcus table after we were seated at a table to the back because of the late payment of my ticket. But DeMarcus wasn't having it and buy out his entire table paying double for every Seat. It instantly made him cool in Steph eyes.

"So Mr Granger you've never answered my question." Says Steph while he entwines his fingers on the table. I'm just stun sitting here watching it all unfold before my eyes.

"What question Steph?" Ask DeMarcus looking directly at Steph.

"What are your intentions with my mother?" I almost choke on my champagne spitting it out of my mouth. I wasn't expecting it and I didn't know my son is ready to take up for me.

"Steph" I whisper yell.

"It's ok Cindy I can answer."

"See mom let me do this" if shock is a person it would be me right now at this child of mine. I snap my head in his direction speechless as to what really is going on here before my very eye.

"DeMarcus don't."

"It's ok Cindy relax men are discussing here."

What the hell is happening here.

"Well Steph I loved your mother way before you were born and to date, I'm very much in love with her." He says lifting his eyes from Steph to mine.

My eyes grew wider than a Saucer the hell is happening here.

I didn't have another word to say, this is not the end I envisioned for this night and definitely not the conversation I want my son a part of. Hell, I'm not even ready for this conversation.

"Well, Mr Granger if that were true, how come I've never heard of you, much more to see your face."

"Well, son..." "Stop I'm not about to do this in front of my son and it ends right now. No more questions Steph you hear me" I lean across the table talking firmly so he understands this is not child's play and I'm very serious. DeMarcus throw his hand in the air in surrender.

"Steph do you hear me," I ask firmly.

"Yes ma'am"

"Good now back to eating before our food gets cold."

"Yes, ma'am" they both said in unison. Tonight is not the night I have this conversation after all the laughs and enjoyment I had this evening. Only to be drowning in memory of the past. Memories I've never dealt with and tonight isn't the time to do it.

After dinner which is part of the fundraiser activities, there is an announcement. Brian walks up onto the stage.

"Ladies and gentlemen it pleases me to announce that we have raised 3.5 million dollars in the fight against cancer. It gives me great pleasure to thank everyone in attendance your contributions means so much in this fight and I will continue to look forward to your cooperation and contributions in the future. We have surpassed last year's charity event and next year I'm looking to do the same. Again thank you please continue to dance and celebrate because it is worth celebrating." The hall erupts in applause as he walks off the stage to his wife.