CHAPTER -42-

HAPPY READING 🥰

Cindy Washington

Jinette and I let go of each other and even though it feels strange, it was kind of comforting to hear her admit what she said earlier. Who knew maybe things would have turned out differently but to never experience all I did in the past six years; the heartbreaks, love lost, my fails, my triumphs, heart-healing, friendship gained, love-rekindle, a greater level of appreciation for myself, finding my strengths, my career. Would have been a tragic loss and great injustice to me.

"So DeMarcus Granger," she says.

"DeMarcus Granger" I repeat blushing.

"You look happy Cindy, happier than I ever saw you," Jinette says looking at me.

"I am happy," I say smiling as Zoriah and Allison join us.

"You guys get true fine" I shift my attention to Zoriah.

"Yes," says Allison.

"You guys remember Jinette from earlier," I ask.

"We met her coming in right," asks Allison.

"Yes, it's her company as well celebrating their anniversary."

"It is nice to meet you, ladies, again," says Jinette.

"No, thank you for having us, and congratulations," says Zoriah.

"Congratulations," says Allison.

"I should leave you, ladies, to it, there are a few guesses I still need to greet." Jinette rushes out.

"Enjoy the rest of your evening," I say.

She nods walking off as the girls and I look on. "We should get to our table," I say "I haven't taken a seat since arriving here." We make our way to our table and the MC announces for the CEO to make his speech. I am now curious as to where DeMarcus is and why he hasn't taken his seat and the program is about to begin. I stretch my neck over the row of people taking their seats,  trying to identify him anywhere in the crowd or at the entrance of the hall. After a few seconds of roaming my eyes, I take my seat as Brian takes the microphone from the MC.

Brian makes a compelling speech about him and his wife's grandparents who started the company in the 1940s and the efforts he and his wife are making to take it to the next generation as they did with the current owners. Everyone stands to their feet applauding him and congratulating him and his wife. Before we can take our seats again DeMarcus finally makes his way to our table.

"Ladies sorry to keep you waiting," says DeMarcus standing in front of us. We take our seats and I look over at him as Zoriah says "It's ok duty always calls." He takes my hand giving it a squeeze he leans in kissing my neck.

"Can I have this dance?" he says letting go of my hand and opening one hand in front of me and the other in front of Zoriah, Allison is sitting in the center of Zoriah and me. We look at each other and then back at him.

"Did you drink the champagne too?" I ask.

"No, why?" he answers.

He looks at me lifting his brows "It seems to be affecting people tonight" I look over at Zoriah who rolls her eyes at me.

"C'mon ladies, you haven't danced until you dance with me," he says cheerfully.

The music in the hall change to jazz party vibes with more upbeat songs as the MC announced the floor open. "See it's destiny C'mon ladies, do me the honour," he says trying to convince us.

Zoriah and I take his hands stretched out before us standing on our feet after exchanging looks we laugh and take Allison's hands picking her up and forming a circle. DeMarcus back up onto the dance floor and every head turns our way. This will probably make the media thinks he's dating the three of us even though he went public with our engagement.