CHAPTER -9-

HAPPY READING 🥰

Cindy Washington

Today I move into our condo. The movers arrived on time and they are currently packing the boxes onto the truck.

The past week I have been running around like crazy trying to transfer my address and pack all my stuff. It's amazing the amount of stuff I accumulate in six years of living here. I walk out to the living room giving the place one last look. This is where it all began six years ago. Where I run to when I didn't know my strength and I'm still building and figuring out who I am and how strong I can be on my own.

The journey of life with all its bumps and challenges is worth living to its fullest and developing true potentials. Once I've discovered what that is, it is worth pursuing. If I didn't make a move I would have never been able to accomplish anything moreover discover my strengths and my weaknesses. I'm also learning who I am and what I'm made of. Imagine if I'd never pursued anything.

Finally, I can be strong for myself and don't have to depend on anyone for my maintenance and stability, not even my happiness because I control it now. Even my mental health would be compromised if I'd never made a move for myself. It may be selfish to put myself first when I was no longer one but if I didn't I couldn't see my purpose or know the potential buried in me. Now that I've seen life the way people can switch on you and throw you aside without a moment notice. my one constant is what I can do for myself no one can get in the way of that.

The day was neither sunny nor windy the temperature is a mild snow day. I pull my coat over my shoulder, place the keys on the side table by the door. I  walk through the front door and enter the cab waiting on me. Taking one last look at the building. The past years hasn't been all pleasant but it hasn't been all unpleasant either. Trying to find myself and sacrificing all I had can finally be behind me as I make a fresh start. I try not to beat myself up for it all but it's easier said than done. Late at night when all the world is sleeping and I can't, I sit in bed breaking my heart with thoughts of what-ifs. What could have been, what is meant to be and what I should have done differently and what I could do differently in the future. I've made so many mistakes getting here, so many failed attempts but it's my testimony that I'm here and I'm not giving up on myself no matter who gave up on me.

The taxi drives off and I'm sitting here fingers cross wanting a better future than the one my decisions made me think my life would turn out to be. At first, I couldn't picture all of this, I didn't know where this path directs me. I still don't know where it leads but what I do know as long as I have life, health and strength I will not stop trying or give up.

I'm moving to the business community of Isola and it's ideal for when Steph, mom and dad visit. With the spring/ summer fashion week coming up the city will be buzzing with foreigners and work will be intense because every magazine wants the fresh scoop and want exclusive pieces to be launch in their magazines. With all the excitement and flair of each designer putting on their show with the top models and designs, there will be lots of interviews and attending of shows by the various departments at kindle.

As I sit here thinking somehow the drive to my new place seems longer and I'm here reminiscing on my life and all that is about to happen. Ever since working at kindle publishing house and magazine, my life has taken a pleasant turn and I'm highly grateful.

I met Zoriah and I claim her as a sister more than a friend. In the past five months of knowing her. We instantly click and now she's my roommate. Someone to come home to, eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with. She's someone I can shear my day with and be there for me and I will do the same for her. She's my home wife and I'm lucky to meet her in this lifetime, especially the way I did. It's crazy how I just meet her and we are so comfortable with each other. It reminds me of how Jinette and I became friends quickly. 

This weekend I have two days to finish unpacking and setting up my room and organising everything because work will be a little busy. Because of my fluency in English, my supervisor sometimes sends me on interviews and I want to be on target and be prepared.

I pull up in front of my new home and smile it feels nice to afford stuff for myself. I pay the taxi driver and walk inside. I put my keys and purse on the end table.  The few boxes I brought over during the week I went straight to them, carrying them to my room. I call out to Zoriah who's in her room trying to get everything settles as well. We have the same timeline because with fashion week coming she will also be busy with the content deposit and withdrawals at the bank. This weekend is all we have to finish out home.

I start unboxing my stuff and no sooner the movers came with all the other stuff from my apartment. I pack all my clothes, bathroom supplies and personal hygiene products on my chest of draws. I arrange and hang all my clothes in my walk-in closet. I make up my bed and went down to help Zoriah with packing the fridge and all the kitchen utensils. We work effortlessly together and in four hours we are almost finished I place the welcome mat in front of the door and all the runway carpet we purchased to replace the ones that came with the condo. Zoriah removes the plastic off the new sofa I purchase while I add my ornaments to the corner stand and my plant from my old apartment. Surprisingly with the many days I miss watering it, it survives.

By evening I'm bone tired and need a bath.

"Cindy, Cindy" I heard Zoriah shouting from downstairs. I peek my head at the stairs case answering her. "I'm ordering take out, what do you want."

"How about Chinese, I want noodles, sweet meat and veggies" I hadn't had anything solid for the day.

"Ok, I'm placing the order now," she says walking up the stairs case to her room. I went into the bathroom, brush my teeth and take a long shower.

I step out of the shower wrap my towel and sit on my bed. I'm bone-tired and tomorrow I'm taking a, me day since we have downstairs almost completed. I look around my room and it's a satisfying feeling to see where I've come from and how much more I have to get done. The motivations behind all this haven't changed and I need to keep going to get it all done. I don't have a timeline for myself, I don't want to kick myself if I don't meet a certain level in a certain amount of year's and face greater consequences. I will let it flow naturally so as my knowledge increase so I will lead the path I'm destined to take. Life is so funny at times if we don't achieve a fraction of what our mines thought of we deem ourselves failed when it's meant to be taken one step at a time.

The next day Zoriah and I spend the day cooking up a storm. We bake lasagna, chicken casserole, fried rice, macaroni and cheese, potato pie, chicken Alfredo and stew trout to freeze for the week. At night whoever is home first will preheat dinner. We made a schedule for cooking and cleaning up after ourselves. For the remainder of the day, we just relax talking about random facts about ourselves and I finally let her talk to Steph.  She is excited to meet him and he is as well.