Chapter 8: The Set-Up (Part 3)

Techno knew the minute he stepped off the platform that something was wrong. Instead of facing the notorious ex-dictator, he met a frightened, overwrought man. The criminal cowered in the back of the cell, trembling next to an iron cauldron. He was pale, too pale to be considered healthy, and his eyes darted about the room. For once, he wore no mask, making him appear more vulnerable than ever. Gone was the power-hungry monarch of old; in his place was a scared, young child.

Techno thought the sudden change was very peculiar, but he shrugged it off. It would make his interrogation that much easier. "Dream-"

The man jumped at the sound of his name. His fearful gaze locked onto Techno's, and in the smallest of voices, he whispered, "You shouldn't have come."

That brought the piglin's investigation to a screeching halt. "Huh?"

"YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE COME!!" Dream screamed. "GO!! GET OUT OF HERE!! RUN!!"

Just as the warrior made to respond, the transportation platform hummed to life. Slowly but surely, it began the journey back to the send-off station...without its passenger. Techno's eyes widened in disbelief- that wasn't good. "Uh, hey, Sam? What's going on?"

The warden stared back across the lava, eyes glazed and otherwise unbothered. Techno cupped his hands around his mouth and tried again, raising his voice: "Sam? Hey, I'm not ready to go back yet. I think it's leaving without me, Sam!"

When the creeper hybrid made no move to right the wrong, Techno's heart nearly stopped. A surge of panic rushed through the piglin as he realized his inevitable demise: Soon, he would be trapped in the prison. "Sam!! Sam, wait!!"

The platform clicked into place on the other side of the lava, sealing the warrior's fate. Not a moment later, Sam vacated the premises, leaving Techno stranded in the obsidian box. "That traitor," he grumbled, clenching his fists. "Why would he do this?"

"It was a set-up."

The warrior whirled around to face his nemesis, eyes ablaze with fury. "What was that, Dream?"

"I said this was a set-up," the man replied. "Quackity saw you as his biggest threat, so he paid Sam to trap you here, should you ever come to visit."

Technoblade- the fiercest of warriors, the sharpest of fighters, the Blood God of the server, had been made a fool? Something primal snapped in the piglin's chest; how dare he be played by another self-assured ruler? He vowed vengeance, and he'd claim it now. Techno vaulted himself over the netherite blocks dividing the cell from the visitor's lobby, and threw Dream up against the wall. His strong hands grabbed the criminal by the throat, making the cursed man gag. "You think you and Quackity and Sam can all use me like this? Huh, Dream?" the piglin growled. "And what about Ranboo? Was he just a pawn in your little game, too?"

Dream gasped as he choked out a cry. "Not me. Wasn't me-"

"What? What wasn't you?" Techno demanded. "The wars? The violence? The executions?!"

"Dreamons!...Dreamons!"

Techno released the ex-dictator from his grasp; Dream collapsed to the floor. "I'm giving you one chance to explain yourself, Dream," the Blood God stated, "and then I'm gonna kill you. Start talking."

The criminal gasped for air in the midst of a powerful coughing fit. He suppressed the coughs as best he could to make his case: "Dreamons. They were dreamons...Possessed by...dreamon...one year."

The warrior piglin grabbed the broken man by his shoulders, and forced him back on his feet. "So, you're saying that this server went through hell because we were all possessed by...dreamons?"

Dream shook his head. "No," he refuted, clearing his throat. "It was just me. I've been possessed by a dreamon- this demon on the server, for an entire year. I've been acting against my will this whole time."

Techno hummed, rubbing the end of his chin as he processed the new information. "Alright...But how do I know you're not possessed right now?"

The criminal sighed. "Look, I'll tell you anything you want to know- literally anything, but I can't prove that I'm not possessed."

"And why not?"

Silence lingered in the air for a moment before Dream was finally able to admit the truth: "Because it took Wilbur."

Will Techno kill Dream, or will Dream help him find Ranboo??

Vote to help Techno come up with an escape plan!! :D

And, as always, thanks for the reads and support! Swiggity swope you guys are dope haha! XDD

[Image Credits] "Alcatraz prison cells" (Cropped Slightly) by Jumilla (https://www.flickr.com/photos/jumilla/8667657401)