Chapter 30: Fundy (Part 2)

"Hey, freak face!"

The fox hybrid raised his diamond hoe off his back, and threw it right at the monster. The weapon sliced through the dark fog with ease, evaporating the vile creature and embedding itself into the wall.

Fundy ran to the kitchen table, scooping his baby cousin up into his arms. "Phil!" The fox hybrid ripped his hoe from the wall, and tossed it over to his grandfather. "Go get the dreamon in the living room! I got Michael!"

Phil cast a nervous glance between his grandsons, but gave the fox a hurried nod. "Yes. Right. I'm on it."

As the elder hurried off to battle, Fundy placed Michael down on the kitchen table. Lifting a second hoe off his back, the fox swung the tool down as hard as he could. Crack! It took a few minutes, but soon, Fundy had carved out a circle in the tiled floor. It was crude, but it would do.

Fundy grabbed his cousin off the table, and quickly placed him at the circle's center. "Now, listen, Michael," the fox warned. "You stay right here, okay? Don't leave this circle until me or Grampy says it's okay, alright?" The piglin sniffled, giving his friend a sad, little nod. "Good boy, Michael."

With that, the fox turned back towards the living room, and waged war against the dreamons.

It wasn't long before the monsters were finally vanquished. More had appeared in the shadows of the room, but Fundy and Philza had fought with a vengeance. As the treacherous black smoke dissipated from the room, the two stood alone, panting in exhaustion. "Thank the gods you were here, Fundy," Philza breathed. "You saved our lives."

The fox smiled, shyly rubbing the back of his neck. "Oh, hey, you know- It's fine."

The man clapped a hand on his grandson's shoulder. "I'm still grateful. I'm sure Tubbo would appreciate what you did, too."

Philza handed the hoe back to Fundy, and turned towards the kitchen. "Michael? Michael, you can come out now!" A sharp whine pierced the hybrids' ears. "Michael?" The two adults walked back into the kitchen, only to witness the saddest of sights:

Michael still sat at the center of the circle, as instructed, with his knees pulled tight to his chest. Sobs wracked his tiny body while rivers of tears streamed down his face. Phil got on his hands and knees, approaching the poor child as gently as he could. "What's wrong there, Michael? It's okay. You can come out now."

"No!!" the piglin shrieked. "Wan' Papa and Dada!! Where Papa and Dada?!"

Phil gave a low noise of sympathy as he gathered the child in his arms. "It's okay, Michael," he shushed. "Everything will be okay. Papa and Dada will be home soon."

"Noooo! Wan' Papa now!! Wan' Dada nowwwww!!"

No matter what he tried, Philza couldn't seem to soothe the child. Michael cried and cried as hard as he could, desperately calling for his fathers. All Fundy could do was watch in pity.

Fundy hadn't realized how impossible raising a child would be while running a country. While his fathers were off staving off disasters, Michael was left to wonder when they would come home. He was oblivious to the needs of a nation, how people's lives depended on the choices they made. All Michael wanted was to be held by his dads, to bask in their love and attention. It was a tragedy to see the poor little child like this.

It was then that Fundy realized how important his task in Snowchester was. Tubbo might be off saving the server, but he had given Fundy the job of saving his world: his family. The fox was humbled by the opportunity to mend old ties. He couldn't believe his uncle trusted him with such a responsibility; he was honored.

Fundy made a silent vow to protect Philza and Michael with everything he had. The period of isolation between them bled away into nothingness, leaving the beating heart of a strengthened familial bond. Despite Michael's consistent wails, Fundy was content: he was part of the family again, and that was all that mattered.

He only hoped the rest of his relatives weren't in harm's way,...even his father.

A shorter update, but that's the end of the chapter!! Back to Ranboo and Tubbo next!

Will the Beloveds be able to save their platonic marriage?? Vote to give them strength!!

As always, thanks so much for the support!! Sorry for all the updates today- trying to make The Watty's deadline! Thank you for understanding!! <333

[Image Credits]"Baby boy crying sad mad" (Cropped Slightly) by Alice Keeler (https://flickr.com/photos/alicegop/8802256872)