Chapter 31: The Truth

Ranboo was silent, a walking statue as he and his soulmate made the trek to Las Nevadas. Tubbo had never seen his husband so cold. The goat felt invisible in his partner's presence, a shadow yearning for friendship. It was as if the fight at the prison had been something more, a deeper problem swimming just below the surface.

Doubts and insecurities gnawed at Tubbo's soul. Was it him? Did he do something to set Ranboo off? Surely, it couldn't just be about Eret. What should he say? What should he do? He could at least apologize- that might be a good start.

"Ranboo, I- I'm sorry again for leaving Eret," the goat hybrid stammered.

The enderman barely acknowledged the statement, offering a half-shrug of his right shoulder. "It's fine."

Tubbo kept quiet for a moment, but decided to press forward. "Did I do something to upset you, then?" he asked. "Because you're not acting like yourself, and...I'm worried."

The taller of the two sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "It's not something I want to talk about, Tubbo."

"But why? Don't you trust me?" the goat questioned. "You know I'm a good listener, Ranboo. I can keep secrets."

"I'm sure you can," the enderman muttered. "Just look at all secrets you've been hiding."

"Excuse me?"

The sentient huffed. "Whatever. It's nothing."

"No!"

Tubbo jumped out in front of his husband, bringing their journey to a grinding halt. "Tell me!" the shorter pleaded. "It's something- I know it! Please! Is it something I did? You know I would never hurt you, Ranboo-"

"But you already have!!"

Tubbo gasped. Ranboo was scaring him. Not once in their time together had Ranboo raised his voice. Something had to be wrong. "R- Ranboo?"

"No, Tubbo," the enderman spat. "You wouldn't believe me even if I told you."

The goat hybrid clenched his fists, a weak attempt to stop himself from shaking. This sarcastic, flippant behavior was a complete change of character for Ranboo, one that Tubbo didn't appreciate. He was going to get to the bottom of this; he wouldn't let months of marriage go to waste.

Tubbo took a deep breath, and dared to say, "Try me."

The enderman halfling narrowed his eyes as he crossed his arms over his chest. "Alright. Do you believe in time travel, Tubbo?"

The goat hybrid blinked, his mind blank. "Uhm, yeah, I guess so. With the right amount of science. Why?"

"Because I've lived these next few weeks before. I've seen the future, Tubbo, and I wish to the gods I hadn't."