Chapter 17: The Warden

The creeper hybrid scratched at the green and gray patches along his chin as a steady breeze curled through the evening air. He stood on the battlement of the prison between the two front corner towers, waiting for any nighttime wanderers. The warden could only take so much being cooped up inside with Dream; at least out here he had some privacy. Or- well, he did.

The halfling watched as a dark figure sprinted out from the shadows and began knocking on the front door. "Sam! Sam, open up!"

"Visiting hours are over, Ranboo," the creeper hybrid drawled. "Come back tomorrow."

Though the torch light was dim, Sam could clearly see that the halfling was in distress. Ranboo looked this way and that, consistently checking over his shoulder every five seconds. He was restless. "Please, Sam! It's an emergency!"

"You know I can't do that, Ranboo," the warden called. "Go home."

The enderman hybrid suddenly whirled around, his back pressed against the main entrance. Seconds later, the sentient was beating his fists against the door with a renewed sense of urgency. "Let me in!! Please!!"

Sam was about to refute the being's request, when he heard a sick, twisted kind of howl. A thick, black fog rolled in from the trail Ranboo had ran down, its sights set on the bicolored humanoid. Ranboo let out an agonized scream, and then he was gone, completely consumed by the smoke. What on Earth-?

Sam didn't think things could get any weirder, but he was sorely mistaken. In the midst of the fog, two streams of violet light pierced through the darkness. The smoke gradually began to vanish, leaving a now silent Ranboo in its wake. "Ranboo?" Sam asked. "Are you alright?"

The sentient stood unnaturally still, immune to the other hyrbid's inqueries. Ranboo, ever the mysterious being, then turned and marched off without a word. His presence left no trace- it was like he was never there.

The warden gave a low whistle, shaking his head in disbelief. The people on this server were a strange bunch. Hopefully, that would be the only disturbance for the night. Sam scanned the clearing before the prison just to be safe, and was surprised to see a familiar face. "Wilbur?"

What happened next would remain a blur in the halfling's mind. He remembered watching Wilbur approach the door, giving him a knowing smirk in exchange for entrance, then everything went black.

Ooooh a surprise update AND a surprise guest!! What did Wilbur do to Sam?!

What will happen next?! Vote to keep Dream and Techno safe!!

As always, thank you so much for the reads and the support!! Ily more than dreamons like harassing Ranboo. <333

[Image Credits] "The Dark Forest (encore)" (Cropped Slightly) by Joan Sorolla (https://www

[Image Credits] "The Dark Forest (encore)" (Cropped Slightly) by Joan Sorolla (https://www.flickr.com/photos/23894994@N02/32435627501)