Chapter 28: Reconcile (Part 2)

The monotonous hum of the transportation platform droned on in an endless stream as Ranboo approached the notorious obsidian box. The sentient took a deep breath, exhaling through his nose. After all this time- all the scandals and dreamons and more, he was finally returning to the prison.

Ranboo wouldn't lie; he was nervous. It's going to be okay. It's going to be just fine, he self-soothed. You know the future. There's nothing he can do to you that you can't handle. You know all his tricks. You're going to be just fine. Well, he certainly hoped it would. If all else failed, Dream was his only back-up; the enderman needed the notorious criminal for all his worth. If the man didn't comply to his demands, then, well...the sentient figured he may need to persuade him using more aggressive measures.

The platform finally clanked against the wall of the box, allowing Ranboo to enter the visitors' lobby. As the being raised his eyes to meet his once manipulator, he felt his stomach drop: Dream was gone. How?! He's supposed to be here!! the enderman panicked. Okay, okay. Focus, Ranboo. Focus. Last time, he escaped the prison with Technoblade, but Techno isn't in prison, so- A long, drawn-out groan echoed from behind the netherite half-wall, signaling another presence.

Ranboo did a quick glance across the lava sea, checking to see if Sam was still watching, and hopped over the half-wall. What Ranboo found there made him collapse to his knees in relief. Huddled behind the wall, his mask gone and his knees pressed to his chest, was Dream. Well, Ranboo thought, here goes nothing. The enderman halfling reached out to gently shake the convict's shoulder. "Dream? Dream-"

The criminal mastermind nearly jumped out of his skin at the sudden contact. He instantly backed away from the strange, new presence, his once wicked, green eyes now melted pools of grief. "Get away from me," the man hissed. "Go!"

Ranboo was taken aback by the sudden change in the convict's character. The Dream he knew was a sinister foe above men, a force of nature in his own right. But now, sat before him, was a trembling, hollow version of his previous mentality. He looked so helpless, like a lost child. As much as Ranboo hated his former manipulator, he couldn't help but take on a gentler approach: "Hey, hey. It's okay. It's alright," the enderman whispered. "It's just me. It's just Ranboo. I'm not gonna hurt you."

Dream gasped out a sob, tears welling in his eyes as he replied, "No,...but I hurt you."

"I- Well, yes. I'm not going to deny that," Ranboo responded, "but I'm not here for revenge- honest. I'm here for-"

Dream grabbed at his messy, sandy-blonde hair, and in a strained voice, shouted, "I'm a monster!!" The ex-dictator sniffled weakly, raising a pitiful gaze to his visitor. "I- I didn't really do all that, did I? Did I really invade L'Manberg, and- and drop all that TNT, and manipulate you to-"

"Yes. Yes, you did, Dream," the enderman monotoned, "but that wasn't your fault. I'm choosing to believe that you were possessed so we can move on from this conversation-"

"I was!" the man gasped. "I was possessed! I remember! It was underground and there was this egg and-"

"Yep, uh-huh, okay," Ranboo hurried. "Look, as much as I'd love to reflect on every major conflict that's happened on the server, I really don't have the time. So if you could just hand me the Revive Book-"