Chapter 29: The Exorcism (Part 3)

Slowly, ever so slowly, Ranboo's eyes faded back to normal and he turned around, immediately freezing in shock. Fundy had been right to warn him- it was a scene straight from hell. Craters of varying depths littered the landscape around the arch; soil that was once hidden from the sun lay strewn across the forest floor, exposed to the eerie moonlight above. Amazingly, the crooked arch remained intact, untouched save for the few stray flames licking at its corners. And below the apex of the arch lay Wilbur, silent and still.

The enderman hybrid cautiously approached the human, his nerves on end. He hoped with every fiber of his being that Wilbur truly was unconscious; the last thing he needed was a jump scare or an angry dreamon attacking him. Ranboo gulped. Only one way to find out.

The sentient crouched by the comatose human, gingerly taking the Brit's pulse. The man's heartbeat was rather fast, but given the fact that he'd just been through an exorcism, it made sense. Ranboo then slid his hand over the man's forehead. Wilbur's face was ashen, a sickly pale in the moonlight, and his skin was cool to the touch. Ranboo hummed in thought. If he had to guess, the sentient would bet the dreamon had finally fled the man's body.

Something dark in the grass caught Ranboo's eye. Thinking it was the wisps of a lone dreamon, the humanoid's eyes flew to the dark matter, only to breathe a sigh of relief. Some sort of strange, ebony substance, something much like the remnants of spray paint, covered the ground in a long, tapered trail. It wound its way through the grass and off into the woods, where it disappeared into the unknown. The beast had left a spectral trail in its wake; finally, the monster was gone.

"Ranboo!"

"Ranboooooo!!"

"Ranboo! Oh my gosh!!"

The enderman halfling was broken out of his trance by the sound of his friends. Tubbo, Techno, and Sapnap all ran up to Ranboo, fussing over this and that. Tubbo pulled his beloved close, clinging to his husband in a tight hug. "Ranboo, are you really okay?" he asked, voice muffled against the sentient's chest. "Please, tell me you're okay."

Ranboo chuckled, running soothing fingers through his soulmate's hair. "I'm fine, Tubbo. I promise."

Techno wandered around the archway, taking in every detail of the carnage around him. "Seems like you got in a pretty bad fight," he mumbled. The piglin briefly glanced down at Wilbur, and asked, "Did you kill him?"

"Wha- No way!" Sapnap protested. He pointed at the arch, and yelled, "That's a dreamon cleansing arch! Ranboo must've exorcised the dreamon from him!"

Tubbo gasped, pushing away from Ranboo to look him straight in the eye. "Is that true, Ranboo? Did you free Wilbur?"

The enderman sighed. "I think so," he replied. Unsatisfied by the answer, the goat hybrid left his soulmate to crouch by Wilbur's side, checking the man over for any sign of possession.

A revelation hit Ranboo as he glanced between all the members of his group. "Wait a minute. How did you all get here so fast?" he started. "There's no way you dug out all that TNT."

"Oh, we found some underground tunnels," Tubbo said absentmindedly. "It was so cool! It was like a train system and everything! We rode the rails to a shack not too far from here. Saved us a ton of time."

The enderman blanched. "But- Who's watching Eret, then?"

Tubbo turned to give his platonic partner an innocent smile. "No one, silly! We came here to check on you-"

"Jesus Christ, Tubbo!! What have you done?!" The forest fell silent at Ranboo's words. Anger emanated off the being in waves, a force so strong the enderman nearly saw purple.

The goat hybrid came to a shaky stand, and in a quiet, timid voice, he said, "I- I'm sorry, Ranboo. I was only trying to help."

Ranboo exhaled sharply through his nose, as he released a frustrated sigh. "I know. I'm sorry. It's just- Eret's in a lot of danger right now, and he needs protection."

"We'll take care of Eret," Techno interjected. "You two figure things out." Techno threw his fallen brother over his shoulder, and led Sapnap away from the charged scene.

Ranboo hesitated to run after them, but instead yelled out "Don't tell anyone about the tunnels!".

A cold silence hung in the air as the platonic pair were left to themselves. All Ranboo could offer was a defeated sigh. "We'll head to Las Nevadas. Let's go." The two ventured off towards their next destination, their marriage hanging in the balance, the fate of the server holding on more stable ground.

YAYYYYY WILBUR IS FREEEE!!!! But will Ranboo and Tubbo be okay??

Vote to save their platonic marriage!!! <333

As always, thank you for all the support!! Ily more than Tubbo cares for Ranboo <333

[Image Credits] "191/365+1 Panic, don't panic?" (Cropped out all other buttons) by Dave Crosby (https://www

[Image Credits] "191/365+1 Panic, don't panic?" (Cropped out all other buttons) by Dave Crosby (https://www.flickr.com/photos/wikidave/7646428262/)