Chapter 16: A Father's Wish (Part 3)

Wilbur narrowed his eyes, his lips pursing into a tight, thin line. "So be it." With a flick of the wrist, a small, embellished dagger found its home in the Brit's hand. The second the blade slid out of the man's sleeve, Fundy smelled the sweet scent of pink-spotted daisies. His eyes widened. This was the dagger that had killed Eret. The fox hybrid kept his gaze trained on his father, even as the man raised the poisoned knife. "Oh, Fundy," the Brit chuckled, "it truly was never meant to be-"

Suddenly, Wilbur's hand sprang open, causing the knife to clatter on the floor. He gripped his wrist to retain some sense of control, but his world seemed to be falling apart. The Brit released an agonizing scream as he staggered back, his body wrought with pain. He gasped for air, black smoke leaking from his mouth. Fundy stepped back as he watched the unthinkable take place. His father's head snapped back of its own accord, allowing a steady stream of ebony smoke to emanate off his body. A dark, ghostly figure materialized above the man, looming over him in an almost protective stance. Fundy couldn't believe his eyes. It was a-

"Dreamon!" Sapnap shouted. "It's a dreamon! Fundy, run!"

But for some reason, the fox hybrid couldn't tear himself away. He was mesmerized by the scene, wondering what would become of his father. When the last wisps of smoke leaked out of the man, Wilbur's body instantly went slack. He fell to his knees; he would have toppled down the stairs as well if Fundy hadn't caught him. Wilbur's eyes darted around the room for a moment, until they landed on his son. A look of sheer terror crossed the man's face as he cried, "Fundy! Fundy, please! Get out of here! You have to go, now!"

"What is it, dad? What is it?!" the halfling pleaded. "What happened?! Who did this to you?!"

Wilbur gulped down a precious breath of air, only to cough it back up again. "Dream! Dream possessed me!" he said. "Just wanted to repay my debt. I just wanted to pay my debt!!"

"Wilbur!!"

But it was too late. The dreamon had transformed into a thick, black fog, and descended upon its victim. Wilbur fell back against the stairs, twisting and writhing as he struggled against the demonic presence. White-knuckled hands clenched at his hair as he released one final shriek- the man's body went stiff, then limp, unconscious.

"Dad!!"

Fundy reached out for his father, but a wall of fog came in between them. "Mine," a monstrous voice hissed. "He's still mine."

"No! He's my father!" Fundy yelled. "Let him go!"

"Be gone, lest you suffer a fate worse than his."

"Fundy!" Sapnap called. "We gotta go!"

"But-"

The fortress of fog that had trapped the two in the throne room parted down the middle to reveal the exit. Wisps of smoke continued to sink into Wilbur's helpless body, consuming the poor man with a terrifying evil. Fundy gave one last look of regret at his father, then followed his partner as they raced out the castle. In his heart, the fox halfling made a vow he dared not break: I will save you, Wilbur, if it's the last thing I do.

Hoh wow that took a turn even I didn't anticipate

Hoh wow that took a turn even I didn't anticipate. :0

Wilbur's trapped with the dreamon! Vote to save his soul!!

As always, thank you so much for the reads and support!! Y'all keep the dreamons away every day. <333

[Image Credits] "Paranoia : you must breath out

[Image Credits] "Paranoia : you must breath out .. so i can breath you in" (Cropped Slightly) by Amparo Torres O. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/circo_de_invierno/2103552931/)