Chapter 34: Trust Me

(!) Trigger Warning: mentions of death, beginnings of execution via water (!)

Bad howled with laughter, using the podium for support. "Oh, you're all so foolish, aren't you?" the demon hybrid taunted. "How gullible! Please, everyone, have a seat. The ceremony's about to begin."

Having no say in the matter, the attendees returned to their seats. Questions about the TNT, the dreamons, and The Egg were thrown Bad's way, the people thirsting for answers. "Settle down, settle down," the hybrid called. "All will be explained in due time. You see, this banquet has been on the agenda for quite a long time."

"Just get on with it!" Wilbur hollered from the audience.

"Yeah!" Quackity chimed in. "What the hell is going on?!"

"Language!" Bad seethed. "The Egg does not approve of such words. And none of this would have been hell for you if you two had just died with L'Manberg." Tubbo gasped. L'Manberg?! What did any of this have to do with L'Manberg?!

A round of confused shouting ensued before Bad was able to explain: "It all started like any good story would- with a problem. The Egg is a powerful being, and demands blood to survive. It must be fed in order to stay alive. But with the lack of modern-day explorers to conveniently 'go missing', the Egg must resort to alternative methods of feeding. It could, say, corrupt a certain dictator, and start a senseless war-"

Someone in the crowd gasped loudly. "Wilbur!"

The Brit whirled around, trying to locate the rogue voice. "WHAT?!"

Bad groaned. "No, you cretins. It was Dream. The Egg corrupted Dream, possessed him with a dreamon, and led hundreds to slaughter. The Egg feasted on the corpses for months, but still, it wanted more."

The demon hybrid leveled an intense glare down at the crowd, and said, "That explosion Wilbur and Dream set off should have killed them both! It should've killed Quackity, and Eret, and everyone!!!"

Bad pinched the bridge of his nose in an effort to contain himself. "And then Dream has the audacity to revive Wilbur before The Egg can eat him?! How psychotic is that?!"

"Not as psychotic as you!"

The crowd sniggered, the tension in the air lifting ever so slightly.

Bad pursed his lips into a tight, thin line. "If I find out who is interrupting me, I will personally feed them to The Egg. Do I make myself clear?" A fearful silence hung in the air, save for the quiet sobs of baby Michael.

"Good," the demon hybrid sneered. "Now, as I was saying, the survivors of L'Manberg needed to be dealt with, and the best way to exterminate an entire people is through war. Thus, a brilliant plan was born!"

With a dramatic hand gesture towards himself, the hybrid explained, "The five major nations came together under my request. We would unite our countries under one flag. Dream, Wilbur, and Quackity were all in agreement,...but then, there was Tubbo. He was too good for our treaty, so the others and I made a plan: we would assassinate Tubbo, get him out of the way, and move on."