Chapter 2: The Crime (Part 1)

The oncoming headache and an increasing difficulty in breathing told Ranboo that he was running out of time. If he didn't find his beloveds soon, he may end up as a pile of ash. His last hope was Michael's bedroom, and so there he went, a deep, primal fear driving him forward. Please, be there, he internally pleaded. Please, be okay.

Ranboo threw open the final door- he froze, eyes wide and jaw dropped. His husband lay sprawled out on the floor, face down and unmoving. Oh, Gods. Ranboo ran to his beloved and shook the boy's shoulders. "Tubbo? Tubbo!! Can you hear me?! Tubbo!!" The sentient rolled the goat hybrid onto his back to better check his vitals. Tubbo's skin was unusually pale, white like the freshly fallen snow. His breathing came in quick, shallow puffs, and his pulse wasn't much better, thrumming at a swift yet steady rate. Tubbo, my beloved! Please, no! Tubbo's life was hanging in the balance by a thread; if Ranboo didn't act fast- No. He wouldn't let that happen.

The humanoid scooped the boy up in his arms and dashed out the door. The hall was a tunnel of fire, bright with flames and thick with smoke. Ranboo dodged the predatory heat, hugging the limp boy to his chest as he sprinted towards the stairs. He hacked at the soot digging into his windpipe, but he pressed on. His aching limbs and burning throat wouldn't stop him from saving a life. Step after step, he hurried down the stairs and sprinted towards the front door- their sweet release.

A wall of fire blocked the exit, impaling Ranboo's heart with pure fear. I have to do this. I have to. For Tubbo. The door would be locked from last night; with the doorknob completely engulfed in flames, there was only one thing to do: break down the door. The sentient turned to his side, closed his eyes, and threw his shoulder into the door. A blood-curdling, agonized scream pierced the air as flesh met fire and burned on contact. The door still stood tall; he had to go again. The humanoid braced himself for another blow, then a third. Finally, the hinges gave way and the door swung open.

Ranboo stumbled forward over the threshold and tumbled into the snow, dropping Tubbo onto the ground. The humanoid lifted his head to check on his husband; the boy lay in a supine position, still unconscious. No...Tubbo! Ranboo scrambled up to his knees and crawled over to his beloved. He gingerly took the goat hybrid into his arms just as the boy began to stir. "Tubbo?" the sentient called. "Tubbo, wake up. Please." He sniffled, tears welling up in his heterochromatic eyes.

The boy's eyes slowly but surely opened, though they were cloudy and unfocused. "Ran-...Ranboo?" The poor hybrid's voice was nearly gone, hoarse from the smoke. He coughed lightly into his mittened hand.

"Yeah, it's me," Ranboo whispered. "It's okay."

Tubbo started to squirm in his husband's arms, but the humanoid held him tight. Turning his head this way and that, Tubbo managed to ask, "Where- Where's Michael?"

Ranboo suddenly went stiff with shock. Michael. The sentient whipped his head back towards the flames consuming his house. Oh, Gods. He'd have to go back in.

He made to stand and do just that, when a hand on his shoulder forced him back down. "Whoa, there, Lethe. You're not going in there." Ranboo looked up to find his brother in-law, Technoblade, standing beside him in all his glory.

"Don't worry, mate," another voice said. "Michael's right here." The humanoid turned to his right to find Philza, his father in-law, staring down at him with a smile. Tucked under the man's green cloak, and clinging to his leg, was none other than Michael, Ranboo and Tubbo's piglin son, safe and sound.

Tubbo craned his neck back to catch just the smallest glimpse of their son. "Michael..." The boy let out a sigh of content, and settled down in his husband's arms. With his topaz brown eyes sliding shut, Tubbo hummed the phrase that would forever haunt Ranboo: "Now, I can die in peace."

ASDFGHJKL I CAN'T BELIEVE WATTPAD DELETED THIS CHAPTER IM SO UPSET

IF IT WAS MY FAULT THEN IM A FOOLLLLL. VOTE TO KEEP IT HERE FROM NOW ON!!

As always, thank you for the ongoing support on this story!! Your generosity is always treasured <333

[Image Credits] "Lewes Bonfire Night 2007 - Wall of Flame" (Cropped Slightly) by Dominic Alves (https://flickr

[Image Credits] "Lewes Bonfire Night 2007 - Wall of Flame" (Cropped Slightly) by Dominic Alves (https://flickr.com/photos/dominicspics/1902322480)