Chapter 9: The Caves (Part 2)

With each step the sentient took, the tunnel grew in darkness. Not a single torch lit the way as he made his descent. It was better this way, he reasoned; clinging to the tenebrosity would serve the sentient well by concealing his presence.

After an endless amount of steps into the Earth, Ranboo finally reached his destination. But what he discovered down there both confounded and astounded him. A large hole in the ceiling allowed precious sunlight to pour over the hidden realm, revealing a massive underground cave. The stone room could have easily held the entirety of the city's population, acting as a decent nuclear bunker.

Ranboo couldn't risk being seen by his two targets, not after he'd come so far. The sentient crouched low to the ground, and darted behind a nearby rock formation. He carefully peered over the top of said rocks, now able to spy on his enemies in secret. Wilbur seemed impressed by the underground lair. The man turned his head this way and that, taking in the entirety of his surroundings with a fervent interest. He nodded along as Quackity gestured to various nooks and crannies, soaking in whatever information the mayor could provide.

Interesting, the creature thought to himself. Quackity is a powerful man, so why does it look like he's below Wilbur? Is Wilbur secretly in command of Las Nevadas?

Ranboo continued to watch the two leaders, until something along the back wall caught the sentient's eye. A series of dark openings were carved into the stone, leading somewhere off into the Earth. Whether they were rooms or tunnels, Ranboo couldn't be sure, but he was more than willing to find out.

The humanoid slowly came to a stand, aiming to sneak through the blackness undetected, when suddenly- "Well, hi there, stranger!"

Ranboo flinched at the sound of someone so close to him, flailing his arms wildly in surprise. The sentient scrambled to shush the voice, and hurriedly covered the being's mouth. He prayed Wilbur and Quackity hadn't heard the intruder. When he peeked back into the cave, the two leaders were wandering towards the far-right corner of the room, too deep in conversation to have noticed the voice. The enderman hybrid breathed a sigh of relief- that was close.

As the adrenaline in his body slowly vanished, Ranboo couldn't help but notice how his hand, the one covering the stranger's mouth, felt oddly...sticky. The sentient turned to face the newcomer head on, only to jerk back in surprise. Kneeling next to him was a slime, one of the rarest species on the server.

The creature stared back at Ranboo with wide, brown eyes, curious yet silent. The being's translucent, green skin reminded Ranboo of gelatin, able to keep the slime's humanoid shape. Rather than appearing as a slippery monster of the deep, the slime looked more like a citizen of the server, donning a white t-shirt, blue jeans, and gray sneakers to match. As far as Ranboo was concerned, the being meant him no harm.

Once the enderman halfling removed his hand from the creature, the being immediately asked, "Who are you?"

Ranboo blinked, surprised by how blunt the slime was. "Oh, uh, I'm Ranboo. What's your name?"

"Charlie." An awkward pause lingered for a moment, until Charlie asked, "What are you doing here?"

Th enderman hybrid didn't answer right away. What if the slime was a citizen of Las Nevadas, or worse- a spy for Quackity? Ranboo couldn't be too sure where Charlie's allegiances lied, so he told the slime a white lie: "Well, I'm keeping an eye on Wilbur, just in case he tries to hurt Quackity."

The slime's eyes went wide. "You're friends with Quackity?"

Ranboo nodded. "Yes, I am."

"I'm friends with Quackity, too!" Charlie exclaimed. "He's my best friend."

The sentient shushed the slime, and whispered, "That's great! He's my best friend, too. But we can't tell Quackity about this, okay? We don't want him to get worried."

The goo just above Charlie's eyes furrowed together, giving him a puzzled demeanor. "Why would Quackity be worried?"

Ranboo floundered for a response. "Be- Because this is all a secret," he replied. "If Quackity knew I was watching that guy, Wilbur, then he'd get worried. I can protect Quackity better if he doesn't know about this."

Charlie nodded his head, a wide smile crossing his face. "Oh, okay! I won't tell Quackity I saw you. See you on the other side, Ranboo!" With that, the slime slowly sank through the cracks of the stone floor, disappearing into the Earth once more.

It took the enderman hybrid a good minute to get over the strange encounter. He shook his head to clear his thoughts; he'd have time to reflect on his conversation with the slime later. For now, he'd continue spying on the two leaders.

Ranboo peeked over the edge of his hiding place, and froze. Wilbur and Quackity were gone. The sentient groaned in frustration. If it hadn't been for that slime, he'd still have a visual on his targets. Of course, gaining a potential ally was always a plus.

Ranboo sighed as he rose to his feet, gently dusting the rock sediment off his clothes. He'd return to the caves with Fundy right after the fox hybrid's morning meeting.

Oooh a new character makes an appearance! Will they blow Ranboo's cover?? 

Vote to make Ranboo's cellphone go off Lol :DD

And, as always, thank you tons and tons for all the support!! Ily all more than Possessed!bur likes caves awww <333

[Image Credits] "Inside Bronson Cave" (Cropped Out Entrance) by Steven Miller (https://www.flickr.com/photos/aloha75/9023249026)