Chapter 15: The Journey Home (Part 2)

"Wha- How could I tell him what happened?! He's a child!" Philza spluttered. "You know I'm no good with kids, Ranboo- just look at how Wil turned out." The old man sighed, and lowered his eyes in shame. "I don't want Michael to turn out the same way."

Ranboo shook his head. Philza's heart was in the right place. The halfling remembered the tragic story of Wilbur's upbringing, but Philza was way out of line; Michael needed to know the truth. "Phil, nothing that happened with Wilbur was your fault," the sentient stated. "You didn't raise him to go against Dream, you didn't raise him to start a war, and you didn't raise him to lead a failed nation-"

"But what's to say that won't happen to Michael?!" Phil shouted. "You remember what happened to Mumza! What if it happens again?!"

"It won't because he has me!"

"That won't be enough!"

"HE HAS ME AND TUBBO!!" Ranboo froze in shock once he realized what he'd said. "I mean, he has me," the being stuttered, "and hopefully, Tubbo. Soon." The halfling sighed. "Listen, Phil-"

"Save it," the elder man spoke, his expression indifferent and his eyes filled with regret. "I'll always blame myself for Wilbur and my wife. Maybe one day, as a father, you'll understand." A small smile spread across Philza's face as he glanced down at the little piglin. "Come on, Michael. Time for bed."

Michael looked back and forth between his guardians, seemingly unaffected by the argument. Ranboo's heart clenched. Oh, gods, he thought. He's already used to it. Reluctantly, the child piglin released his father from the embrace, and ran to his grandfather's outstretched hand. "Good night, Papa." His heart heavy from the fight, Ranboo bid his son a good night's sleep, and walked out the front door.

The sentient's shoulders slumped in defeat as he took a shaky breath of the cold, night air. Raising a kid shouldn't be this hard. It was supposed to be easier, full of happy memories and tons of giggles. The minute Tubbo had died was the minute all the good in the world had faded. Their family was tearing at the seams, barely able to hold a conversation without hitting a nerve. The halfling looked down at the envelope he still held in his hands. First things first: he had to send this letter. Next, he'd find Technoblade, and they'd both get to the bottom of this scandal. And after that, they'd save Tubbo. Then, everything would be at peace once again. Yes, someday it would all go back to normal...

The small family had been out for a stroll in the woods one day, Wilbur chasing Techno through the bushes while Phil and his wife, Mumza, followed the trail. Mumza called the boys back to finish up the family walk, but it was too late. The clanking of bones dashed onto the path, and soon, arrows were whizzing past them- it was a skeleton raid.

While Philza fought back against the undead archers, Mumza frantically called her two sons. But Wilbur couldn't hear her. He sat frozen in the bushes, watching the onslaught before him in fear. Techno tugged at his twin's arm in desperation. "Hurry, Wilbur! We have to go!" The brunette stayed put, paralyzed and unresponsive, unable to move from where they hid.

The amount of skeletons had doubled over the last few minutes, and were starting to overwhelm their old man. "Darling, get the boys!" Philza had shouted. "Take cover!" Mumza whirled around and suddenly, she made eye contact with her sons. "Wilbur-!"

Twang! A stray arrow pierced the woman straight through the heart. An unholy panic rushed through Wilbur, jolting him to action as he watched his mother fall.

"MOM!!"

But it was too late. Mumza died on that very path, and was buried the next day.

After the funeral, Wilbur was never the same. Had he followed the rules and walked the path, the boy claimed, he would have died with his mother. What was the point of following any rule if it led to death? And so Wilbur's rebellious streak began.

Philza was convinced that if he had just been able to deflect that arrow, killed that skeleton, been that hero, then he would've saved his wife. Wilbur wouldn't have gone on to become the insane dictator of a failed L'Manberg. Tragedy typically brings families together, but it broke his family apart. No, Phil had vowed to Ranboo that he'd never expose Michael to the same level of trauma that had destroyed Wilbur,...even if it meant not telling the child what had happened to his father.

Super sad chapter today

Super sad chapter today... :'( Will Philza be able to protect Michael from the evils of the server?

Vote to help Ranboo on his mission to save Tubbo. <33 Next chapter is the dreamon hunt! :D

And, as always, thank you everyone for giving this book a chance! Your love means the world to me. <333

[Image Credits] "Archer_2344

[Image Credits] "Archer_2344.jpg" (Cropped Slightly) by Jerry Feist (https://www.flickr.com/photos/jerryfeist/296034307/)