Chapter 13: The Egg (Part 3)

"Uh, well...Hello, there."

The tendrils around the sentient tensed up as a long, menacing groan echoed through the cavern. A sudden invisible force knocked Ranboo's head back, sending him stumbling with a pounding headache. And, from the deepest pits of hell, a wicked murmur wormed its way into his mind: "Ranboo Beloved, son of Ender and son of man. You've come to meet your doom."

The sentient gasped, eyes widening in shock. He wasn't sure how he knew, but there was an instinct buried inside him that told Ranboo the egg structure had spoken. It didn't sound too pleased. "Uh- no. No, no," the humanoid countered anxiously. "Definitely not here for that. I was just wondering where I am and what you are, uhm...?"

"Call me 'The Egg'," the being whispered in Ranboo's mind. "I am a species far beyond your comprehension, mortal. Your weak and brittle body will nourish my soul."

The humanoid gulped. "Well, you see, I kinda need this body right now. I mean, it's just like you said: I have friends and family-"

"Friends? Family? Fellow mortals that will soon share your fate," The Egg hissed. "Either you die to sustain me, or you join your companions under the server's one true power: The Eggpire."

Ranboo pursed his lips in a tight, thin line, and lowered his gaze into a glower. "I will not die, and I will not join you."

"Oh, but you will, son of Ender. You will." A thick, crimson tentacle suddenly rose from the ground like it was alive, the end of it now facing Ranboo. The tendril looped itself around the humanoid and squeezed, catching its victim by surprise.

The second the tendril made contact with Ranboo's skin, the nightmares began. Dangerous thoughts spun through the being's mind, like a tornado tearing away his sanity. The howls of dreamons filled his head in an effort to drown out the sentient's consciousness, but Ranboo held firm. "No, no...Stop..."

A thousand voices called out to him, all telling him countless lies, one after the other:

"You're not strong enough, Ranboo."

"You're just an enderwalk away from finding your new master."

"Give in to the thoughts. Surrender your free will..."

"No! Never!" the enderman halfling yelled. "You can't turn me! Let me go!"

"I see you're not as vulnerable as you once were," The Egg mused, "but every creature has its weak points."

Visions of Ranboo's family hurt and suffering flashed before his eyes. Tubbo lay on the blood-covered snow, mute and motionless, while a burned Michael clung to him in tears. "Dada, wake up! Wake up!" the little piglin cried. The hybrid child looked around helplessly in the great, white void. "Papa? Papa! Where Papa?! Dada no wake up!"

Ranboo's soul broke. Watching his platonic husband and his only son endure such pain brought the being to his knees in grief. He could feel a familiar tingle run throughout his body; he was about to shift. Ranboo fought his enderman trance with every ounce of strength he had, slowly failing as the mindless state washed over him. He slipped further and further, until-

"Okay!! You win!!"

The tendril ensnaring him immediately unraveled, releasing its victim. Ranboo placed his hands on his knees, panting heavily from such strenuous mental exertion. "I have...a deal."

"I'm listening," The Egg encouraged.

After a moment to catch his breath, Ranboo faced his enemy with a new resolve. "If you let me go, I will bring you a suitable sacrifice," the sentient announced. "I will bring to you my firstborn child."

The Egg hummed in delight, seemingly satisified by the negotiation. "Very well, son of Ender. I look forward to devouring my first piglin child." The vine that had once trapped Ranboo lifted its end to point towards the shadows of the cave. There, behind The Egg and off to the right, was a darkened staircase. Hallelujah.

"You may leave, creature, but be warned," The Egg hissed. "If you do not deliver on your promise, I will drag you back to my lair, and you will die a death of agony."

Ranboo nodded. "You have my word."

The crimson tendrils along the cavern floor parted like the waves of the Red Sea, marking a clear path for the sentient to follow. The humanoid took this as his que to leave. Ranboo felt his muscles relax with every step he took away from The Egg. As soon as he reached the stairway, and the strange creature was out of sight, the humanoid chuckled.

Despite how unnerving the entire experience had been, Ranboo had managed to fool the cryptic beast. Both he and Tubbo had been born males and remained strictly platonic; there was no  biological way for them to have a firstborn. And since neither of the two wished to pursue the surrogate option, adoption had been the couple's only choice. So, in effect, Ranboo had fooled an ancient being with his silver tongue. Who was the inferior species now?

How many of y'all actually thought Ranboo would give up Michael?? 

Will Ranboo actually bring The Egg a victim to sacrifice?? Vote to save the server from The Eggpire!!

And, as always, thank you so much for the reads and supports!! Ily more than The Egg likes being evil. <333

[Image Credits] "Red veins on granite rock - near Castelmonte / Italy" (Cropped Slightly) by Martin from Tyrol (https://flickr

[Image Credits] "Red veins on granite rock - near Castelmonte / Italy" (Cropped Slightly) by Martin from Tyrol (https://flickr.com/photos/solarthermienator/2959638566)