Chapter 3 - The Overqualified Woman

Alina pov

It was almost the end of the day and being stubborn about eating was not fun anymore. Especially since I know Sophia is just out there waiting for me to leave and get some food.

I sigh, getting up from my chair after clearing away some work I plan to take home, then standing at my door taking a peek outside of it. I couldn't see her head from the receptionist desk nor hear any sound from that direction so I couldn't tell.

You know what, I'm a grown damn woman. I don't need to be scared of her!I open my door wide, still looking over to that area as I walk out and of course into someone.

"Where ya goin' friend",sometimes, actually all the time, I wish I could tape a bell to her. But that all alters as I smell what is in the bag she's holding, hoping it's for us to share,"let's go into your office and eat, i kinda pissed Suara off and i don't want her finding me just yet."

"I didn't know I could love you more than I already do, but you did just combine two things I'm craving to do right now."I retract my steps instead of going to the couch that has a table adjacent to it.

"And while you're happy, let's go over some resumes!''I groaned while pulling out a burger, thankful that it's not one of Sophia's 'I need to eat better' days.

"Good things never last.", I take my first bite into it, happy to not feel that emptiness in my stomach anymore,"alright, show me the goods."

"I'm gonna save the best for last, but put on those readers so you can read all nine of them while I eat", she starts placing papers side by side in front of us and I grimace at the first name 'Brick Anderson'.

"Am I building a house with this guy?"

"Shut up and leave your questions for when you're done."

Chuckling I continue down the list eliminating that, no one wants a pa who'll be easily made fun of, but it's like she gave me a list of a bunch of losers.

I only say that because i'm not happy with these but seriously one of them has a picture on their resume with a shitload of personal information while another is in pink lettering on a fucking white peice of paper.

"Sophia, are you trying to piss me off? These can't be the people who want to work under me. I'm the one who asks graduates of business or finance first for jobs and these are the best?"

"Alright alright fine and they ask the occupation department not you", she piles them together then places one last paper that i didn't see.

"Can't I just eat in peace for all I know this one is going to tell their life story", she swats my arm and I laugh having not felt it,"Do not go into fighting my friend you'd get your ass handed to you."

"Would you just read this last one? I think they're perfect."

I shrug, stealing a few of her fries before wiping my hands clean to pick up the paper,"Mia Lexy?"

(I could have sworn she went to some shop that had that last name in the title)

I glance at her and she's just shaking her head up and down. Continuing, I see she graduated from a good university in California and skimming down the rest of the page, I must say this is the neatest resume I've seen in a few years.

"Did you read it all? Isn't she perfect?"

"She's over qualified but a piece of paper can't determine a person in full."

"I already scheduled an interview with her for next week."

"Of course you did."

"Yes and you will attend and behave."

"Sure fine, now please tell me I get a reward for being this courjal madam", she smiles, reaching beside her seat, pulling two glasses and a bottle of wine," I knew I made a good choice in becoming your friend."

"Oh please you know damn well our mothers would've had a fit if we didn't become friends."

"You got that right, now less talking and more pouring!" I could only groan so much today hearing my cell phone go off before even taking one leisurely sip,"one moment por favor."

Regretfully getting up from the oh so comforting couch I go back to my desk rummaging through the drawers before finding the damn thing. Only a limited number of family and friends had my number so it was wishful thinking hoping it was my daughter.

But no... Instead it was the man i now desired nothing to do with anymore,"hello Levi, to what horrible pleasure do i owe this call."

"You must be out of your element hun, usually i'd have to get Sophie to talk to you."

"Levi, I'm not in the mood."

"You've never been, it's not a surprise anymore, however I need the house in Dublin next week. Anderson said you were the only one with the keys to it."

"Well of course since it's my mothers house. I'm not gonna let your little whores trample through there so you can forget about it."

"I could just have a locksmith change the locks then."

"And I could have the police be on standby waiting for you honey."

"God Alina, it's for business!"

"You said the same thing the night our daughter was born." I never get emotional but damnit my voice cracked and I could feel tears coming.

Thankfully Sophia snatches the phone out of my hand replacing it with wine which I happily drink,"Levi unless your dead broke right now I'm sure you could just stay at a hotel and that is the end of this conversation good night."

She places my phone down looking at me with those kind eyes that have kept me going," I don't want to talk about it, really. It'll only make me feel worse than I am already."

"Alright then let's talk about the good old days like when we went to paris." I smile, heading back to the couch and slumping down into it remembering how bad she was at speaking french.

"Oh yes please you still haven't told me about when you almost fell off the eiffel tower", She lights up at that making her laughter contagious, but it couldn't be helped that i thought of my life. It's not perfect, never has been, but I've gotten so used to it I couldn't see the cracks that I wanted to repair.