Chapter 42 - Thoughts

Mia pov

I walk out the bricked building with the restraining order paperwork in hand. I felt a churning in my stomach reading over my fathers name. I don't know why though. He truly has never given me anything as I worked for everything I achieved. I even remember the time I told him I wanted to go to college, appalled by the words 'women belong in the kitchen'.

Noah was too young to remember the way he treated mom. But I was there listening to every pitiful argument he started as she started to branch off wanting to start a business. She had to travel all the way to Switzerland to do it, but I'm so proud of her.

I bet everything would have been different had I lived with her. Too much neglect from my dad messed me up but I'm ok now. Especially with Alina in my life now. It was a little rocky between us at first but it's so much better now.

It was nothing like what I went through with Lana. I jump feeling a hand snap around my forearm. I knew who it was since she accompanied me to the police station but I now feel like there's something to be frightened of again.

"Are you ok?"I look up to the older woman finding comfort in the little crease between her brows. I know mom is there if I need consolation but with Alina it feels better if I'm honest. I hum going to hug her in which she just eases into. I feel a few kisses at the crease of my neck and I notice then and there especially as I watch some man smirk at us that were in public.

"Let's go home."

"Yours or mine honey."

"Mine? Sorry i- could take you back to yours if you want."

"No it's fine I want to stay with you. Julia's prolonging when I'm supposed to get her for the break and with no work I'm all yours."

"Ok... Only if you're comfortable."

"I've been at yours practically every day of course I am. I don't know how they made your bed but it's just spectacular to fall asleep in. Though I might be biased since you're in there with me."

Smiling, she takes my hand leading us back down the paveway where my car was. I was out of it for a moment until she squeezed my hand bringing me back in.

"You never answered my first question."

"Hmm?"

"Mia you just got a restraining order against your dad and were not going to talk about it?"

"What's there to talk about?"

"I just want to know if you're ok.", We finally reached my car and she trapped me against the passenger door pointing at my forehead,"This mind of yours is always running and it's hard to find out what those thoughts are if you don't speak them."

"I just want to be rid of him. He's been nothing but a thorn in my side reminding me of how I was. I know I should've done something about neglect when I was younger. I have many regrets about my past as much as the next person but most of all was staying with him. He made it clear it was the needle he didn't want stuck to his foot."

I could feel stinging in my eyes as tears were on the edge of coming out which I promised to never do again over this man. I even made a document and signed it after I turned eighteen. I started to shiver, pulling her closer to me for warmth before I continued,"I thought I'd never have to see him again but of course nothing is ever as you hope it to be. I expect these damn papers will show him that I don't want him anywhere near me like he does with me."

"How about we have a stay on date night today. Or we could just do a Christmas movie marathon with hot chocolate of course."

"Yea and maybe I could teach you another thing or two since we need food too."

"Ok but remember if your smoke detector goes off because of me, you only have yourself to blame."

I pull the laughing woman into me further than before if that was even possible kissing her with all my might. This was truly heartwarming and truly a great distraction from my crumbling childhood," Ok I swear if we don't get out of this cold I'm gonna get frostbite."

"Ok go on and hop in, I'll drive us back."