Chapter 15 - Caught

Alina pov

I didn't want to ruin the mood, but this has had me itching for an answer since my suspicion was first noted. Even if this was a small and sort of weird equivalent, I can't just shut her out like I'd usually do. I just know Sophia would pester me about it and I'd feel weird seeing her especially since we work on the same floor.

Though I really can't understand this girl. I mean she just willingly let me ramble about my daughter while most times, usually with men, they'd try to change the subject to their own accomplishments. Although I might just see it that way since it's been a while going out with someone other than Sophia.

"I'll pay"

"I'm the one who ordered this plus it's quite expensive"

"That's fine but did you just call me broke somewhere in that statement"

"Well, I'm not sure what salary amount you were given but I didn't expect it to be high"

"I know how to manage my savings to afford things like this."

The waitress came over and I was about to go through my purse for my card before I saw Mia hand hers over to the woman. While she smiles victoriously, I thought why not better time to burst that bubble?'.

"Why did you lie earlier?"

She stops smiling silent for a second before answering.

"I wanted to see you drive. Honestly I regretted not just asking you instead of doing that."

"That's the reason?"

"I know it's weird, but I was also curious about the reason for your hired driver. And the last time I was at your home, I did see another car granted in the horrible weather. But sorry for being deceitful though if there is a bit of trust left, I hope you can believe I'm not one to lie."

"Oh, I definingly figured that out. I saw your phone on the way here and if you had a headache, you should have just gone home. Plus, how do you just throw your phone out the window"

"I don't know how people do it nowadays, I felt really stressed until I got you talking"

I only hum looking back down at the time. We were cutting it close, but I honestly didn't feel like going back now.

"Since your fake headache is gone now can you drive me home, I knocked back too many"

"Oh, should I have stopped you? I was only guessing that you could hold your liquor really well. Actually, I can't really tell if it'd even affected you"

The waitress comes back with her card, and I only laugh watching her trying to understand the woman's 'thank you for visiting' in another language. I start to put my coat on with the weather becoming colder watching her do the same as she leads us back to her car. Thankfully I parked close, glad she didn't see me for almost the entire trip.

And like the gentlewoman she is, my door was opened for me, and I thanked her before getting in. And soon she was beside me starting her ignition to leave.

"Are you sure because I could call Alexander. He actually gave me his number just in case"

"No, I don't feel like waiting"

"I remember the way back and over there so you can just sit back and relax as your chapter is here."

As the car got warmer, I felt weird, but I didn't bother to fight back since it would be quite a drive. I've never felt this stable even in another person's car, so this is quite new, but I don't think it means anything. But soon I drifted off not even questioning the company I have beside me.