Chapter 38 - The Unplanned

Mia pov

"I'm so glad I met you. And I'm happy you are concerned about the beast.", I removed my eyes from the food feeling starved for the reason I came willingly.

"What beast?"Sighing I look at Sophia who looks as if she's as tired of socializing as I am.

"You know what I mean. I could never get her to come to these charity events. She'd always make an excuse.", I shrug my shoulders following my gaze over Alina. She looks more happy than when we first got here as she's surrounded by many young adults.

"I don't see why she wouldn't since she's giving so much to the organization."

"She's a bit of an introvert so that's part of it. Plus these kids remind her so much of her younger self. I know it's a painful reminder but she has to realize what she's doing brings out the best in them.", I remember about a few weeks back she'd told me how she grew up. Turns out after her parents death her aunt took her in. And from the horrible stories of their abusive relationship I understood why she ran away from there.

I shift my weight watching her interact with the same child that talked my ear off. It was also another beautiful thing seeing how she lit up when speaking to children,"Anyway how was the house tour?", I smile remembering a few hours back and feeling goosebumps when our eyes connect for a moment.

"She loved it. I talked to the woman but she would only disclose the price to Alina so i left that to her.", I turned serious looking at Sophia knowing she'd try to skip anything physical by now,"And your helping me pack her things before you even think about backing out.''

"But I need to take my dog to the vet.", She takes a sip of her drink avoiding eye contact.

"See that worked on me last time until i met your husband and found out you guys don't have any pets.",

"Guess I need to have a talk with him about loyalty.", When i look back over Alina's direction she's giving me the signal of 'I want out'.

"Go save her, she's looking for a way out of there."

She takes my word for it to save Alina who makes a beeline for me,"Are you alright?"

"Hmm? Why wouldn't I be?"

"You literally just texted me that your dad is coming."

"Oh right him... Well mom said something about him deciding to make an unexpected visit. I blocked him on my part so he got a hold of her claiming 'he missed me'. I really just hope he doesn't bring Noah but since they've practically been linked since birth, no doubt he will."

"Do you know when?"

"No and I'm sorry but I really don't feel like talking about it anymore."

"Ok... Are you hungry then?"

"Alina i thought you'd never ask.", I groan hearing my phone ring but answer it nonetheless

"I'll make you something.", I nod, getting confused as to who this is. At first all I heard was arguing but then it clicked when I recognized the two voices who'd fight when I was younger. I honestly felt nostalgic listening to it. But is he still on the line? I can barely hear him.

"Mia? Honey you need to come home.", As she'd always been the calm one her voice was low but as serious as she could be but it'd never been directed at me. God, I hope Alina didn't leave any of her clothes laying around there since I forgot to check. Maybe we shouldn't keep doing the 'undress at the door' thing,"Mia?"

"Sorry mom but I'm at an event right now."

"Just come home before I feel like calling the police", Panic starts to rise thinking of all the possibilities that could have occurred after we'd left, even more so since she's there.

"Why would you? What's going on?"

"Your father is on your couch and it thinks he has the same right as me to be in here even though I was actually trusted to know where you live.", I felt myself go pale knowing he'd always had connections for any and everywhere. It always makes me question his position as just a college professor and we all had secrets but he felt darker.

"How is he even there?", I wobbly sit down at the nearest table, finding Alina on her way to me with an uneasy expression after seeing me.

"I don't know! I met him at your door and I was going to just leave but he said he talked to your landlord and was going to get in either by me or another way. Just come home please and bring Alina for your sake.", I hear another argument between him and my mom unsure of what he's actually saying but I hang up standing when Alina reaches me.

"Alina I'm cashing in the favor from earlier"

"What?"

"No questions asked when I tell you to come with me, please"

"Alright let me um- no we can just go"