Chapter 48 - The Ring

Mia pov

I've basically given her all today. I had even tested the waters after getting the ring, putting it on my middle finger before we left. But the woman just positioned it on my ring finger without even commenting about it. Now I'm stuck in a crowd of Sophia's cousins wondering how there are so many. One dude even said he had five sisters and if I could stand my one brother I could only imagine how he grew up.

I'm pulled out of the group though by the woman hosting this event. She had a heart struck smile on and I drank the rest of what eggnog was left in my cup not knowing what to expect next, "She proposed!"

Ok now me and Alina knew not to tell Sophia because she could rat us out to everyone before we got a chance to discuss it ourselves. I pulled her away getting a few congratulations from people before going into a quiet corner, "Who told you?"

"Julia did. I can't believe neither one of you brought it up after being here so long."

"Well that's because you don't know how to keep something a secret. However if you do bring it up to Alina make sure to tell her Julia said it first."

"You're not as excited as I imagined you would be."

"Well I'm not sure if this is an engagement thing or not. We haven't had time to clarify that and I really don't want to push her. But god Sophia I'm on the edge of my seat battling with myself not to go pull that woman into a room and make her explain this now."

"Well when you two do get hitched I can't wait to be fought over for the bridesmaid."

"You have no other choice but to be mine. You're my first true best friend and Alina already had you prior." ,

Sophia starts to glare at something beside me and I'm startled hearing the woman who's practically been avoiding me now standing directly behind me, "Oh is that right?"

"I'm just gonna... head somewhere" ,After Sophia leaves Alina comes to stand in front of me kissing the side of my mouth.

"Are you ok?"

"I'm not quite sure I can answer that properly Alina."

"Why not?"

"Well I was stuck socializing which I usually love but now I'm shy off of tipsy and can only think about you. And it doesn't help that you've been avoiding me."

"Honey we haven't had not a single moment alone. I tried to get to you earlier but Sophia's cousins could talk your ears off and not even realise you don't care what they're talking about. And I've been just thinking about you even without the alcohol."

She grabs ahold of my hand lifting it to kiss the ring with such a sly smirk, "Oh no no no, don't be cute with me missy. I won't fall for it right now"

She goes quiet after nodding and looking around until those eyes land back on me, "Sophia asked me some important marriage questions. She created them after she got married, making them a necessity for friends."

"What questions should I expect?"

"Will you for today and always be committed to her. Will you value and respect her? One thing about money that I can't quite remember. Will our experiences with our exes help or hinder us? And did your family throw plates, calmly discuss issues or silently shut down when disagreements arose. There were a few more but those stood out."

"Mmmh great questions. I'll make sure to ask you about those other ones later."

"Yes and I'm sorry for not explaining this. You are just too precious for me to lose so I'm just carefully planning. "

Sighing I brush a few loose strands from her face fully understanding her without a need for explanation, "Alright... ok so I'm only offering this because you might need it. But should I stay at my place tonight or maybe a few days?"

"I really don't want that."

"Yea but I'm gonna wrack your head for answers and I don't think you're ready. And when you are, I'm sure you remember my key is under the mat before my door."

"Must I remind you that you glued it to the floor for some reason. I told you someone could just come and play it from the ground right?."

"Well I didn't want some random person to easily get it but I'm glad you know what to do though."