Chapter 14 - White Lie

Mia pov

It was only a small white lie. Of course I knew where the place was but who wouldn't want to see someone you admired behind the wheel. Though now i have to hide my phone for the rest of the day because 'I accidently threw it out my window while driving'. I should really work on excuses...

Despite that i should have really taken into account that she might have a driver for a reason watching her squint her eyes on the road ahead,"I could drive and you can just give directions like last time"

"I'm near sighted, not far sighted, and i thought you said you had a headache" right after making excuses i should also remember what i came up with in that certain moment for future entanglements.

"Just a suggestion..." After coming off an exit and two dangerously fast turns later we were at 'didi's Frieden' and I was a bit excited since I've never eaten anything other than a few snacks, candies, and my mom's cooking not that i'm complaining.

"You know they only speak German here right"

"That is another thing Sophia mentioned and it'll come in handy for me"

"Do you know any of the languages spoken in Zürich?"

"I know a little bit of Italian and by a little I mean a microscopic piece of it. Still waiting for my mom to teach me since she said not to trust the internet"

She hums parallel parking into a spot and I get out first waiting for her to round my car. She nods once reaching me as we head into the mildly full restaurant. And I go infront opening the door for her, then following behind her. Then we're greeted by the welcomer but as he speaks I just realize how much of a language barrier I will have living here. Though my spirits weren't bursting when I heard Mrs. Write talk. I couldn't understand not a damn thing but I wasn't mad about a damn thing.

Then she looks at me catching me a bit off guard but I instantly look at the man who motions to follow him so I do. Thankfully we weren't sat by no one other than this couple, a table down but other than that this place is fancy.

"You had a reservation?" I think my brain stopped working trying to figure out it's next moves. I should have just straight up told her I didn't want to drive in the first place, I kinda knew this would backfire somehow though and I suspect I'm staring a bit too long by now.

"Hmm? Oh! Right that... Yes I did have one. I used the office phone to set one"

"Oh really"

"Yes really"

I pick up the menu in front of me but instantly put it down hearing her speak again.

"The menus are in german"

"I'll have what you have"

"Are you sure you'll like it, California girl"

"I'm not from California, I only just lived there growing up."

The waiter then came and I couldn't understand anything like before so I let her do all the talking. I should have invested in speaking any other type of language. But google translate was so easy to cheat with back in college.

The woman then took our menus after Mrs. Wright had stopped speaking, only nodding her head at our waitress,"I want you..." What? "to call me Alina from now on, though only in private. I love my last name but it's weird hearing it a lot."

Oh... Is that even a reason?

"Sophia said the same thing earlier." She only nods and I find this a good opportunity to get to know her. It was either that or sit here in an uncomfortable silence. The waitress comes back for a moment dropping off two already filled glasses and the bottle then leaving,"Not to pry or get her in trouble but she mentioned your daughter too. What is she like?"

After I took a sip, deciding not to go further than a glass, I peered back up at her and she was just smiling at me.

"You want to know about my daughter?"

"I mean would you rather talk about work?"

"Other than Sophia I don't really get the chance to talk about her. What did Sophia say?"

"That she's attending the same school you went to and it's far away."

"She's currently going to the Academy School of Economics studying Macroeconomics... in Romania."

"That's a mouth full of words"

"Yep exactly what my mother said. And I'm just backing off letting her carve her own life."

"You miss her?"

"Terribly so and she's too far for me to just pop up on."

The waitress came back with our food but I couldn't stop staring at the woman looking back at me. It's even baffling that only Sophia talks to her about this. What about her husband?