Chapter 23 - The Hidden Mezzaluna

Alina pov

"Dad brought some hoochie to visit me before you came. She talked too damn much and had too much make up on."

"You're telling me why?"

"Dad's trying to replace you. And your just getting ready to go to your assistant's thanksgiving party"

"You fully know that our marriage was over even before you went off to college"

"But you never told me why. Was it because of the late nights he worked? Were you lonely?"

Oh I know he wasn't with the many mistresses he had. But I can't just tell her that. Thankfully she doesn't have any resentment towards me, especially since I was the one who raised her,"I just don't want the past to come to light Julia so let it be. Ok how do i look" I spinned after putting my heels on and pairing them with the black shirt I have on. I didn't want to seem like I was trying so I put on the jeans I rarely wear but I thought I looked good.

"Is this Mia someone you want to impress?"

"I- what no i just- is it too much?"

"Put on some sneakers and your shirt is almost inviting people to look at your boobs mom."

"I think the shirts are fine." She crosses her arms looking at me and I feel like my closet space is smaller with her eyes on me. And dammit they look just like mine to make it worse.

"Do you have a side hustle you're not telling me about?"

"Julia, will you just go to your car? I'll meet you there."

"I know you have Anderson but have you even been working on that? It's been years since the car crash. I know it was traumatic but what if Andy isn't here anymore?"

"God it's like I created my mother again."

"Fine, I'm going to get the car warm."

"Well I'm already ready now, let's just go"

------

"I haven't seen that shirt in a while."

"Mhmm" I haven't seen her yet. Is she avoiding me? It's her own home and I'm making her avoid me. I knew I shouldn't have come after her reaction. What is she going to do about work then?

"Alina?"

"Oh I'm sorry Miss Lexy"

"Oh please don't call me that, it's Andrea and Andy for short. You're only a little younger than me so I don't want any formality Alina"

Right, that's just a great reminder of how much older I am than her. And what a damn cringe to hear it from her mother,"Is your daughter single?"

"What- oh i think so i guess"

She simply smiles before our heads turn to a large thud from beyond the house,"i didn't think she hid it so far in storage, I'll go help her"

"Uhm, you know what Mi- Andrea? Why don't I go help? I have a good eye for things so it won't take that long"

"You know what this is what i meant about coming on too strong Andy"

"I think I was fine, thank you very much."

Their talk becomes muffled when I round the corner to a small hallway with three doors. I head straight to the last one after hearing an enfolded curse and another thud finding her crouched looking into a box. There were several even some spilled over onto the floor but that only distracted me for a while before my attention swayed to her,"Mia"

She gasped, covering her heart with her hand, looking at me almost falling over even."What are you looking for?" That's not what I wanted to ask but we didn't exactly have leverage to do anything more with people only a few feet away.

"It's a Mezzaluna. Like a knife but has two handles on each side. Instead of using the perfect pasta maker I bought for her, she'd rather use that."

I spotted something shiny with an engraved handle from one of the boxes in the back. Not wanting to make a fool of myself I carefully moved boxes out of the way instead of just jumping to get the item. Once I reached it just like she described it had two handles that both had the inscription 'Lexy' on them. I turned and she looked surprised before giving that heart warming smile of hers,"thank you i thought i was never going to find it"

Our fingers brushed when she took it from me and I could see she wanted to run. But we needed to talk sooner or later so I grabbed her before she tried to leave, holding her in place," we need to talk... Can I see you tomorrow?"

"Uh- tomorrow no, i have a thing with Liam and my mom but Saturday is good. ...Do you regret it?"

"Not in the slightest but not talking about this is even more dangerous"

She's quick to smile but I was quicker in closing the gap and she sighed into the kiss. I looked back out to the open door, closing it before my hands then guided her back. I might've been despite right now but it was almost as if she expected me to do this. I quietly backed her up to the wall starting to nip and bite at her bottom lip feeling her clench at my side then hearing a thud. I looked down to the knife that landed safely at her side but her eyes widened, motioning for me to go back some.

I'm startled as the door swings open by Andrea but I only wonder how she sensed she was coming,"well here it is!", She bends down to pick the knife up looking at it with a sort of admiration,"come on you two" I only nod noting Mia brush her bottom lip against her teeth before leaving behind the woman. I might not feel like waiting for saturday...