Chapter 56 - Bowling Buddies

Alina pov

Charlie from 'one step at a time', Faye from 'our late nights',

Sitting back in the chair I watch as Mia triumphantly tells Charlie off after her round, "I can't believe you let Charlie choose, " I smirk, knowing Rose is just upset because she lost to me, "We could be at some fancy restaurant seeing the sights instead of here."

"Stop being so posh, when was the last time you even went bowling?."

"I could ask you the same."

Mia takes a seat next to me, and I observe Charlie's competitiveness, "I took Julia about a year ago and Mia a few months ago," Mia perks up, studying Charlie's activities while still attempting to participate in the conversation.

"Oh, I remember that, but I think you let me win on purpose," When Charlie is granted a strike I feel Mia pinch my side groaning.

She then simply stares at me with an adorable pouty expression, making me grin, "What did I do?"

"Well if you'd have told me she was going to be like this i would've backed down from her bet. I don't even own any farmland."

Nodding, I massage her back having forgotten how Mia is a bit competitive herself, "I imagined her to change after so many years, and admittedly, she has aged like fine wine, just like the rest of us. But I suppose her rivalry never went away."

Elizabeth returns with Faye, drinks in hand, clearly hearing who we're talking about, "You're damn right. She fought me over buying tickets to get here," The drinks are passed around, and I express my gratitude to Faye and Elizabeth for the cocktails that will allow us to continue the night.

"I'm just glad to get out of my university. I haven't gone out of the country in a long time and while it's still cold here I'm loving it so far," She smiles at us before taking a drink from her own glass.

"Oh I understand that. My principal has been a little too broad in her sentiments for me. It's starting to stress me out," Rose gives Elizabeth a shocked look, and I realized that even as these ladies grew older, they were the same people I spent time with in college, although with finer dress sense.

Rose pats her shoulder turning serious, "You should put a stop to it before she gets the wrong impression."

I recalled the two females who had called earlier, and remembered their attributes as well, "If the woman lashes out, we all know who to call: Vivienne or Diana's attorneys. Make them pay for it too, you know the loyal ones cost the most," Mia stands up leaving my side once again, purposely bumping into Charlie, which she laughs at.

"Mia is a delight. I wish you guys were fun, but once you lose your composure, you're in a bad mood. Maybe you guys can strike gold here since you don't have any women on your arms, unlike Miss Lucky over here."

"Charlie I hope you know I'm close to feeling the urge in kicking your ass,"

"Love you too Faye," Charlie only beams smugly as she downs her drink in one go, like she typically does.

"Trust me girls, I'm pretty sure all of you will be finding someone soon. I mean Diana found someone and she was as cold as I am to people I don't know."

"Yea I'm just as shocked you found someone," Charlie had this playful glint in her eyes when mine narrowed in her direction.

Mia reappears at that same time, moving Charlie out of her seat next to me, "Ok Charlie you're barking up the wrong tree. Actually I'm afraid of the woman who'll actually be able to deal with you."

"Oh I really like you Mia. And just know that you can call any one of us, except Charlie, if you ever want to vent about Alina," I cast a glance at Rose before sighing and continuing the conversation, content that they get along in the first place.

"That's so kind of you and I'll most definitely do so. And Charlie go check the scoreboard."

Charlie spins around, and we all look at the scoreboard, where Mia's name is at the top, "Wait, make it two out of three."

"Now, Charlie, don't get your knickers knotted since you were the one who made this bet. So you owe me farmland now."

I could hear the ladies laughing, and I tried hard not to laugh as well, "Honey what are you going to do with that?"

"I don't know yet but I won it fair and square. Maybe when you're tired of the city we could go there or something," I couldn't help but lean into her for a quick kiss since the look she makes after she wins something is too sweet.

"You two are just lovely together. I can't wait for the wedding."

I gaze over to my old friends, feeling the connection we all share with one another, then to Mia, who still has the same beautiful face I remember from the first time I met her, "Oh trust me we can't wait either."